Cyberabad Days by Ian McDonald
Authors:Ian McDonald
Info:Pyr (2009), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 330 pages
Rating:*****

Cyberabad Days by Ian McDonald

Pump Six and Other Stories by Paolo Bacigalupi (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are short story collections that seem to accurately capture the trials and tribulations of the near future.

...Cyberabad Days is not a light read. McDonald introduces a lot of technological concepts and deals with complex social issues. The setting will also not be familiar to many readers and McDonald stuffs is as many non English words, social, cultural and religious peculiarities and science fictional concepts as he can get away with. All of this put into relatively short works of fiction poses something of a challenge to the reader. It also makes Cyberabad Days an intense and immersive read. I thought the picture of India McDonald paints fascinating. The manner in which McDonald connects India's history and culture with futuristic technology is fascinating. It is as colourful and dramatic as the fictional soap opera Town and Country that is mentioned in just about every story, something McDonald's exuberant prose only reinforces. Although the city itself isn't important in the stories, the reference to Hyderabad, one of India's information technology centres, in the title of the collection is well chosen. The development of technology is of course highly speculative but the author does cover many of the challenges India, divided or not, will face in the coming decades. Not a light read, but definitely a rewarding one. If you haven't read River of Gods before tackling Cyberabad Days, you definitely will pick it up after finishing it.

Full Random Comments review ( )
  Valashain | Jul 24, 2016 |
I liked one of his short stories, so I've vowed to try one of his novels. If there's a better one I should read, please suggest it!
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Great collection - well-drawn characters, well-told stories. Highly recommended. Ian McDonald is one of the very finest writers of literary-quality science fiction today. ( )
  ronhenry | Nov 17, 2015 |

Collection of short stories set in the same near-future, cyberpunk, sexy, religious, politically fragmented India as River of Gods. Three of these stories were also Hugo nominees (indeed one, "The Djinn's Wife", won both Hugo and BSFA Award). I got a lot more out of reading them together, with the setting reinforced by each story in sequence. Of those I had not previously read, I think I most liked "An Eligible Boy", a story of a genetically engineered child in an arranged marriage and what he does to get his own way in defiance of his birth family. But they are all pretty mind-bending in the typical McDonald way. ( )
  nwhyte | Jun 9, 2014 |
Fascinating, I'll buy [b:River of Gods|278280|River of Gods (India 2047, #1)|Ian McDonald|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1365462862s/278280.jpg|2440580] as soon as I see it. ( )
  Dirk_P_Broer | Mar 6, 2014 |
We believe in this future India because all the invention (and there are masses of inventions casually crowded into these urban stories) do not feel imposed upon the setting but feel rather as if they have grown out of the setting. And because of this sense of natural growth, it is a future that is crowded, dirty, tumultuous, poor, thriving, smelly, joyous, colourful; a future, in other words, that feels like the real world around us.
added by sdobie | editSFSite, Paul Kincaid (Aug 1, 2009)

While some stories are too slight for the welter of wordage employed, McDonald gives a refreshing take on the future from a non-western viewpoint.
added by andyl | editThe Guardian, Eric Brown (Apr 4, 2009)

Every story is simultaneously a cracking yarn, a thoughtful piece of technosocial criticism, and a bag of eyeball kicks that'll fire your imagination.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Feb 27, 2009)

If you are simply looking for weird and smart science fiction that will surprise you, I recommend Cyberabad Days. It's a chance to see the future from a perspective that rarely shows up in Western scifi.
added by PhoenixTerran | editio9, Annalee Newitz (Feb 16, 2009)

McDonald, Ianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martiniere, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McAuley, PaulIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every boy in the class ran at the cry. Robotwar robotwar!
The rolling news channels clear their schedules of everything else but cricket. 156
The German translation of River of Gods is "Cyberabad" (and "roman" just means novel) please do not combine those with Cyberabad Days, it's the wrong work.

Presents a collection of seven stories that explore the India of 2047, including "The Little Goddess," about a former deity who is lost in a strange new world, and "The Djinn's Wife," about a woman who falls in love with an AI.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,970,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible