One Second After (A John Matherson Novel, 1)…

One Second After (A John Matherson Novel, 1) (edition 2011)

by William R. Forstchen (Author)

Series: John Matherson (1)

One man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war based upon an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP) weapon that will send America back to the Dark Ages.
Member:Flynn-Rider
Title:One Second After (A John Matherson Novel, 1)
Authors:William R. Forstchen (Author)
Info:Forge Books (2011), Edition: First, 528 pages

Work Information

One Second After by William R. Forstchen

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (sturlington)
    sturlington: Alas, Babylon influenced One Second After.
    Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: YA novel details family life from a teenagers perspective after a comet throws the moon off its axis.

English (134)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (136)
Aborted attempt; hated it ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
Every good review of this book focuses on the realistic plot: the detonation of a EMP bomb destroying all of the country's infrastructure, creating unfathomable hardships, many of which can be avoided if anyone took this threat seriously. Every bad review focuses on the mediocre writing, and the characters are on average, pretty weak, and significantly, alpha males. Read Ashfall by Mike Mullin instead: different calamity, same result, better writing and characters you can care about. ( )
1 vote skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Somber book, especially with North Koreas Nuclear ambitions and wanting to hurt USA... we aren't secure vs such a threat ( )
  DanJlaf | May 13, 2021 |
There were some things about it that were annoying, but it did a good job of illustrating all the things that are likely to happen if such a disaster were to occur. Hopefully if something like this does happen, we can be better prepared than these people were, but it's going to take some effort. ( )
  atari_guy | May 11, 2021 |

William R. Forstchenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barrett, JoeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gingrich, NewtForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sanders, William D.Afterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For my daughter, Megan Marie Forstchen...and for those who protect her, that she may grow up in peace. And for my father, John Joseph Forstchen, who taught me what should truly be valued in life.
John Matherson lifted the plastic bag off the counter.

William R. Forstchen tells a story that might be all too terrifyingly real. A story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war that sends our nation back to the Dark Ages.

A war lost because of a terrifying weapon, an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP).

And it may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read. It has been discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a realistic look at EMPs and their awesome ability to send catastrophic shockwaves throughout the United States, literally within seconds. It is a weapon that The Wall Street Journal warned could shatter our nation. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail-Safe, and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future... and our end.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,140,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible