A ilha negra by Hergé,

A ilha negra (original 1938; edition 2003)

by Hergé,

Series: Tintin {Hergé} (7)

On his return from South America, Tintin embarks on an exciting British adventure, full of unexpected surprises. Tintin clashes with the villainous Dr. M?ller for the first, but not the last time. M?ller is the mastermind behind a vast European counterfeiting operation. After numerous incidents, Tintin succeeds in breaking up this criminal network.… (more)
Member:acidpt
Title:A ilha negra
Authors:Hergé,
Info:[Madrid] Mediasat [2003]

Work Information

The Black Island by Hergé (Author) (1938)

English (10)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (14)
Somehow Tintin passed me by as a kid. The books were there in my local library alongside the Asterix ones, but I never wanted to check them out and read them. No idea why that was.

However, my seven year old son did want to read them, probably because he saw the movie first. So having devoured The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure he wanted to read the rest of Tintin. So I took him to the library and we borrowed Tintin and the Black Island.

It is an entertaining and engaging story. Tintin is an action hero and despite the setbacks he saves the day. It isn't all action though, there's loads of humour all through the book, almost every page has at least one gag, many of which are visual and in the background.

Anyway, we liked it so much we've used the online catalogue to order up some of the other Tintin stories that our local library doesn't have on its shelves. ( )
  jmkemp | Jul 5, 2016 |
The art is pretty cool and there's a lot of slapstick humor. Not my favorite.
  Frenzie | Feb 19, 2014 |

The Black Island is a bit of a step backwards for Tintin; he is shot and wounded ion the first page, and then chases a group of forgers to Scotland by a series of improbable incidents involving various means of transport and defeats a gorilla in a ruined castle, all the while hindered by the bungling detectives Thomson and Thompson (who in fairness get some good lines here). One wonders why anyone would go to the trouble of forging Belgian francs in Scotland (or indeed anywhere at all); the basic plot, of a criminal conspiracy being unmasked, is awfully similar to Cigars of the Pharaoh and Tintin in America, though the story is on safer ground by mocking the British rather than Arabs, Indians or native Americans. Not really one of the classics. ( )
  nwhyte | Nov 16, 2013 |
So far the best adventure in the series. Gone is the overt racism and political agendas. Here is Tintin and Snowy at their best, trying to solve a mystery. After witnessing a plane crash while out walking Tintin rushes to help only to be fired upon. So begins a chance across the English Channel through Britain to Scotland.

The main stand out in this book is the prominence of Snowy. Here he evolves from annoying follower to active adventurer, helping Tintin get out of (and sometimes into) trouble. And he also gets a taste for Scotch whisky.

I'm glad to see Tintin how I remember it. A man and his dog solving mysteries not involving a multi-coloured van and suspicious snacks or racist, colonial overtones. ( )
  Shirezu | Mar 31, 2013 |
Tintin and Snowy in Scotland! Hoots, mon! The stereotyped vernacular of the locals is amusing, but then I'm not Scottish!

I like Snowy's thought bubbles - it's a pity Hergé didn't maintain them throughout the whole series. Thomson and Thompson continue to be twits!

Hergé's illustrations of the Black Island and its castle are very atmospheric; I particularly liked them. ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Mar 29, 2013 |

Trevethan, MarkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turner, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zendrera, ConcepciónTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tien?... un avion...
"But there's more than one way of using an automatic... I'll demonstrate!" - Tintin, before pistol-whipping two thugs into unconsciousness.
This is the 1966 redrawn and colourised version of The Black Island (L'Île Noire). Please, do not combine it with the 1937 black and white version or the 1943 first colourised version, nor with any film or audio adaptations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,037,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible