Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl

Fantastic Mr. Fox (original 1970; edition 2007)

by Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake (Illustrator)

Three farmers, each one meaner than the other, try all-out warfare to get rid of the fox and his family.
Member:librarybut
Title:Fantastic Mr. Fox
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Quentin Blake (Illustrator)
Info:Puffin (2007), Paperback, 96 pages
Tags:Children

Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl (1970)

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling (themulhern)
    themulhern: Kipling's animal stories are generally more sentimental and often more talky than "Fantastic Mr. Fox". Frequently, humans are very prominent and the animals are in a position of devoted servitude. But the short story "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi" is quick moving and exciting, and the little mongoose who is the protagonist is a very independent character.… (more)
    The Fox Busters by Dick King-Smith (Polenth)
    The Tale of Mr. Tod by Beatrix Potter (amanda4242)
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (sturlington)

English (115)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (118)
I highly recomend this to kids. The plot is fast and engaging. There not much of a storyline. I like how the movie adds to the story and shows each characters personality while staying true to the book. However, the movie is the least of my favoite Wes Anderson's film.

I like the ending where the three famers are sitting around the fox hole waiting for Mr. Fox to come out. That is hilarious. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I like the baby foxes best. They remembered the carrots! Also, all the talk of bacon made me hungry. NOM! ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
I don't have a great memory of this, so it obviously didn't make a great impression on me. It's my mother's favourite Roald Dahl book, though, and she's successfully had a long line of non-readers make their way through it over the years, so I should probably give it another go one day.

(My mother is a teacher. She doesn't just kidnap non-readers off the street and force them to read Roald Dahl books. At least, not to my knowledge, anyway.) ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
It turns out that my kid and I are both Dahl fans. Not uber-fans, but we usually always have a pretty good time every time we crack a book.

THIS IS A GOOD THING. We didn't have that great a time with Narnia. Give us Gaiman, give us Dahl, and even give us Dickens, but Please, No Thank You to Lewis. :)

High points of Mr. Fox:

The bad guys look and sound not like farmers, but bankers. We have a full redistribution of wealth scheme going on here... maybe not so much Communism as it is a garden variety Socialist societal setup told within a simple tale digging holes and getting one's tail shot off.

Fortunately, it's not THAT dry. In fact, I was pretty amused to see just how much hard liquor is downed by all. I mean, it's not just theft and murder we're talking about -- but the full-on drunken debaucheries of the proletariat... FOR the proletariat!

Read it if you don't believe me. :)
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Inspired

To Olivia
Down in the valley there were three farms.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141307536, 0141322659, 0141807873, 0141329106, 0141333200

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,937,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible