Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William…

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble (original 1969; edition 2012)

by William Steig (Author)

In a moment of fright, Sylvester the donkey asks his magic pebble to turn him into a rock but then can not hold the pebble to wish himself back to normal again.
Member:ADelRio
Title:Sylvester and the Magic Pebble
Authors:William Steig (Author)
Info:Little Simon (2012), Edition: Book and CD, 32 pages

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig (Author) (1969)

English (233)  Spanish (1)  All languages (234)
This book would be a good fit for primary elementary grade levels. It is a tale about Sylvester, a donkey who discovers a magic pebble. A problem arises when he uses his magic pebble to make wishes and accidentally wishes himself into a rock! This book is a fun story about appreciating what one already has. This could be a good book to utilize for readers theater or a creative writing assignment about what you would wish for if you discovered a magic pebble and what would happen. ( )
  dmckibbon | Feb 22, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
I enjoyed it and didn't know about the controversy, and have not walked away from the book feeling any less goodwill towards police. From all the talk, you'd think this was hate speech! It's not.

It's a short tale about a young donkey ... if there are lessons to be learned, I guess it's "don't be hasty," although that's a hard one to apply when you're frightened by a lion. Maybe it's "be extra careful when you have a powerful weapon in your hands--in fact, don't carry such a thing around," which I can get behind.

Thought it a bit odd that for the most part it seemed grownups were clothed, and children were naked, although Monday at the park that was coming true for real by the splash pond ... and I liked that the plot wasn't at all what I would have predicted. Good, but I didn't cry.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Oct 13, 2020 |
The ending is a tad unrealistic, but a gem of a story none the less and well written. ( )
  kimberlyrivera1473 | Sep 23, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |

Steig, WilliamAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adlerberth, RolandTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, James EarlNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Maggie, Lucy, and Jemmy
Sylvester Duncan lived with his mother and father at Acorn Road in Oatsdale.
How he wanted to shout, "Mother! Father! It's me, Sylvester, I'm right here!" But he couldn't talk. He had no voice. He was stone-dumb.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,255,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible