19 Varieties of Gazelle: Poems of the Middle…

19 Varieties of Gazelle: Poems of the Middle East (edition 2002)

by Naomi Shihab Nye

Member:varielle
Title:19 Varieties of Gazelle: Poems of the Middle East
Authors:Naomi Shihab Nye
Info:Greenwillow (2002), Hardcover, 160 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Poetry

19 Varieties of Gazelle: Poems of the Middle East by Naomi Shihab Nye

This is a beautiful collection of poems from a perspective I do not often read. I do not know much about the Middle East, but Nye has provided me with new perspective on her homeland via beautiful and rich poetry. While the book is too old for my students (pre-k), I would suggest this book for high school students interested in poetry and/or women's perspectives of the Middle East. ( )
  kberryman44 | Dec 6, 2014 |
5Q 3P (my VOYA code) This was an extremely beautiful collection of poetry. Exquisitely written. Perhaps not the most popular YA poetry collection but would definitely be of interest if suggested. I think that this is such an important text for youth, and all readers, today. Especially in our culture of Arabophobia and Islamaphobia. Negative stereotypes about the Middle East are reinforced by the media, our peers, and even sometimes educators. This collection of poetry uses beautiful language and metaphor to create a space for someone to look at another and possibly very different culture and feel compassion for a fellow human being. I loved the strong themes of family. ( )
  LoisHaight | Jun 8, 2014 |
5Q 3P

This anthology of poetry by Naomi Shihab Nye is a look at religious traditions, war, peace, beauty, gender, and other topics through the eyes of an Arab-American poet. Despite the seriousness stance of these poems, not all are serious. Rather, every poem is a unique examination of the subject in question, wrapped in euphony.

The only reason this anthology received 3 popularity points is because--tragically--many American teens will find it difficult to identify with the voice and the content of the Middle East. With some urging, this anthology will be enjoyed. ( )
  NigeltheKid | Jun 8, 2014 |
4Q, 3P (my VOYA codes) 19 Varieties of Gazelle is a collection of poems that elucidate the Arab-American experience. The poems use language carefully, painting pictures for the reader, especially about Muslim life in the U.S. and the Middle East. To me, reading this collection was a very satisfying experience, I ate these poems like delicious bites of food. Almost anyone could relate to the characters and feelings in these poems, and they have particular resonance for young adults with Arab backgrounds.

I chose a 5Q for quality because the poetry is packed with emotion and evokes powerful, complete imagery. For popularity, I chose a 3P, because many young adults may not be excited to read a book of poetry. I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of YA preferences, but I have a feeling that many (unfortunately) believe they do not like poetry. ( )
  HollyHerndon | May 12, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060504048, Paperback)

As she grieved over the "huge shadow [that] had been cast across the lives of so many innocent people and an ancient culture's pride" after September 11, 2001, poet and author Naomi Shihab Nye's natural response was to write, to grasp "onto details to stay afloat." Accordingly, Nye has gathered over four dozen of her own poems about the Middle East and about being an Arab American living in the United States. Devoted followers of the award-winning and beloved poet will recognize some of their favorites from her earlier collections (The Space Between Our Footsteps: Poems and Paintings from the Middle East, etc.), while absorbing themselves in her new haunting and evocative poems. Nye writes of figs and olives, fathers' blessings and grandmothers' hands that "recognize grapes, / and the damp shine of a goat's new skin." She writes of Palestinians, living and dead, of war, and of peace. Readers of all ages will be profoundly moved by the vitality and hope in these beautiful lines from Nye's heart. (Ages 9 to adult) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:36 -0400)

Nineteen poems about the Middle East and about being an Arab American living in the United States.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,623,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible