Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M. R. James

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary (original 1904; edition 2006)

by M. R. James, Montague Rhodes James

6791925,222 (4.09)48
Keeping listeners' stomachs twisted in suspense and horror, this collection spooks with the tales of a haunted book; a murder-revealing picture; and a very real meeting with a dead author. Listeners will enjoy M.R. James' best scary stories read by the chilling voice of David Timson.
Member:stephenlang
Title:Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
Authors:M. R. James
Other authors:Montague Rhodes James
Info:Wildside Press (2006), Hardcover, 128 pages

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M. R. James (1904)

The Alabaster Hand And Other Ghost Stories by A. N. L. Munby (Alex_Maybe)
    Alex_Maybe: Short ghost stories directly inspired and written in the same style of M. R. James.

Please note that I gave this 3.5 stars but since Goodreads does not have half stars I rounded up to 4 stars.

These are not your typical horror stories. I did like them though. James has a subtle style to his writing and stories. I think that he assumes his readers are going to imagine more things that can be worse than what he will write so a lot of things are left to your imagination in some of the stories.

The stories are the following:

"Canon Alberic's Scrap-Book"-3 stars. Not very scary. And I am going to say I did a lot of wait what while reading this one.

"Lost Hearts"- 5 stars. I loved this one from beginning to end. So good! Maybe because once you as a reader realize what is going on you want to keep the main character safe (who was a boy at the time of the story).

"The Mezzotint"-3 stars. This was honestly pretty boring to me. Not terrible, just not very interesting.

"The Ash-tree"-3 stars. I thought it was an interesting idea that fell kind of flat. This one I had to read twice because I found myself skimming too much to get to the punchline.

"Number 13"-5 stars. This one was really good and I have to say nothing with 13 in it is ever going to be good news!

"Count Magnus"-2.5 stars. Once again, just not very interesting to me and I did find myself skimming this story.

"Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad''-3 stars. I don't understand what was going on in this story at all. I think the unknown is supposed to be scary in this one, but to me it seemed easily gotten rid of (the big bad) that I don't know how scared I was supposed ot be by it.

"The Treasure of Abbot Thomas"-2.5 stars. Wish that maybe Lost Hearts had been the last one for this collection instead of this one. Once again though I understand what M.R. James was trying to do, I just found it lackluster in execution. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Real witches have friends
the kind that come out at night
creeping to your room. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M.R. James
A fantastic collection of creepy atmospheric horror tales written back in the day. I felt that these stories lost nothing with the passage of time. In fact, I appreciated the fact that these tales weren't gory at all. I guess I've gotten used to explicit scenes in my horror, and these shorts served to remind me that blood and guts don't necessarily have to play a part. My imagination often supplies something scarier than the author may have intended and I like that. I highly recommend this excellent, (free for Kindle), collection. ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
DNF

Although I'm not big on short stories I thought this might be a fun Halloween-y thing to read. But the first one didn't do anything for me so I won't continue, it's on to something else.
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
Ghost stories really don't get a heck of a lot better than many of these. I've listed my individual ratings for each of the 8 stories, rating some as low as 3 (surprisingly - one of which has a reputation for being among the best, The Mezzotint) - but they are all worthwhile. The particular mood and atmosphere of the reading has an impact, I suspect - - as does whether or not you have read spoilers.
It is a pure joy to read someone write on a subject about which they are a seasoned professional (M R James being a paleographer and medievalist scholar) - and see them have a little fun with it. You can imagine the ideas coming to him as he poured over some ancient work or location and having his mind take a side trip, perhaps disturbing himself enough to encourage him to share the feeling.
Lost Hearts strikes me as a great vehicle for Tim Burton to get morbid and stylistic with. Number 13 inadvertently became a bedtime story for my 9yr old (she listened to the first 75%, then had me tell her the ending in the morning), and Oh, Whistle is among the best of the batch (illustrated in an overly-revealing way on the cover pictured).

As for anyone who finds the text too antiquated and bogged down with locations, history, and so forth - just trust it to pull you along, don't get hung up - context will give you all you need. If my 9yr old can follow enough to speculate on the resolution, we all can. Looking forward to more.

"Canon Alberic's Scrap-Book" 5/5
"Lost Hearts" 4/5
"The Mezzotint" 3/5
"The Ash-tree" 4/5
"Number 13" 5/5
"Count Magnus" 3/5
"'Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad''" 5/5
"The Treasure of Abbot Thomas" 3/4 ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |

M. R. Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bleiler, Everett F.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McBryde, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These stories are dedictated to all those who at various times have listened to them.
St Bertrand de Comminges is a decayed town on the spurs of the Pyrenees, not very far from Toulouse, and still nearer to Bagnères-de-Luchon.
This is M. R. James' first collection of ghost stories, published in 1904 and contains 8 stories. Some later editions contain both the original collection and More Ghost Stories (1911) in one volume. They should not be combined with this book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,130,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible