Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Diana Gabaldon (Author)

Series: Outlander (1)

20,080912149 (4.19)2 / 1180
Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.
Member:Hannah17C
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon (Author)
Info:Dell (1992), Edition: Revised, 850 pages

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne Du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Song of Albion Collection: The Paradise War, The Silver Hand, and The Endless Knot by Stephen Lawhead (charlie68)
    charlie68: A story about a trip farther into Britain's past.
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Mary Queen of Scotland & The Isles: A Novel by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    Ross Poldark by Winston Graham (Anonymous user)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    A Wee Guide to the Jacobites by Charles Sinclair (MissBrangwen)

1990s (196)

English (898)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Tagalog (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (923)
This was such a great read! I can't wait to continue with this series. I am not typically a fan of historical romance, but this didn't read like a romance. It was more like an epic journey. ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
Originally posted at Once Upon a Chapter

It's 1945 and Claire Randall is glad that this war is over. Now she and her husband can start to relax and get to know each other again. The war prevented them from doing that at the start of their marriage. Frank and Claire are vacationing in Scotland before moving on to Frank's new position. Frank is researching his family tree and Claire keeps herself busy exploring.

Then one day Claire is exploring a stone circle when she tumbles 200 years into the past. 1743 Scotland is full of everything you'd expect: chivalry, battle, clans, betrayal, family dysfunction, friendship, love and rivalry. It's also a dangerous place for a woman who has lived in a civilization 200 years in the future where women are just as important as men.

My Thoughts:
I know that summary doesn't do Outlander justice but I really am worried about giving away too much. This book messed me up! I was literally Outlander-focused for six days. Dishes were ignored shamelessly, laundry was done at a minimum and the hubs was ruthlessly ignored.

Diana Gabaldon creates such a beautiful world with her words you almost feel like you're there. The book is a tome but the story is so fast paced (after the first hundred pages or so) that you'll barely notice the length once you've dug in! I was so immersed in the book that I picked up some of the vocabulary by the end! I was dropping the "t" off of "not" and shortened did not to "dinna" with ease.

Claire and Jamie. I get it now. This couple make the top of so many top ten lists and I understand now. If ever there were two people meant to be together it's these two. They're put to the test over and over and over again and not only do they come through it, they come through it with a little bit more love and respect between them. Even with the odds stacked against them. It's almost inspirational. It's definitely swoon-worthy. Did ya see the quote? If a man talked to you like that you'd swoon too.

The secondary characters are amazing! I loved them, I hated them, and I never felt like they overcrowded the romance. If it weren't for Murtagh, Outlander would never have happened. Mrs. Fritz, Jenny and Rupert all warmed my heart and put a smile on my face.

I could go on and on about how much I loved Outlander. I could probably fill the length of this blog. I won't but I'll leave you with this: Outlander is a great way to slip back 200 years and enjoy watching two people fall in love. It's an epic romance that made me realize all over again why romance is a largely loved genre. I can't wait to read the next one but I think I'll wait until I have a bunch of time on my hands. If you haven't read this book yet, it needs to be on your list! ( )
  stephaniedloves2read | Aug 8, 2021 |
Originally posted at Once Upon a Chapter

My Thoughts:

stephaniedloves2read | Aug 8, 2021 |
It took me the first 200 pages to realize that this was "Poldark" In Scotland. But I stuck with it through the next 200 pages and did enjoy the action, if not the pulp-romance parts. The last couple of hundred pages finally included some science fiction...but didn't really go anywhere. This first book of the Outlander series is an alternate world exploration of a young WW2 nurse who finds herself in 18th Century Scotland (one of my personally favorite areas). For all of her 20th Cent. knowledge, she doesn't make much impact on the environment; although her "modern" feminist attitude does. And it's obvious that the sequels must deal with Culloden--and other difficult times and circumstances for the Scots. The story was educational, and mildly entertaining, but ultimately did not give me any incentive for reading the rest of the books.
  majackson | Jul 19, 2021 |
I'm not going to add every volume to my list, even though I've read them all, but you've gotta love this series. Sexy, kilted Jamie and time-traveling Claire are two legendary, lusty, unforgettable characters! ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
RITA Award (451992[1991][1992])
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Traveling in time
Clare falls in love with Jamie
Must choose if she stays
(BekiLynn)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,168,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible