Die Heimkehr by Bernhard Schlink

Die Heimkehr (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Bernhard Schlink (Author)

A child of World War II, Peter Debauer grew up with his mother and scant memories of his father, a victim of war. Now an adult, Peter embarks upon a search for the truth surrounding his mother's unwavering--but shaky--history and the possibility of finding his missing father after all these years.
Member:alanca
Title:Die Heimkehr
Authors:Bernhard Schlink (Author)
Info:Diogenes (2008)
Collections:Kindle library
Rating:***1/2

Homecoming by Bernhard Schlink (2006)

English (16)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (21)
I enjoyed Schlink's The Reader, but Homecoming was a disappointment. It charts the journey of Peter Debauer to discover the story of his Swiss father. Peter is an academic, brought up by his mother in postwar Germany who remembers fondly holidays with his paternal Swiss grandparents. His mother is strangely silent about his father's history.

Homecoming draws on parallels between the partial transcript of a novel published by Peter's grandparents; Odysseus and Penelope; Agamemnon and Clytemnestra; miscellaneous homecomings from conflict; the story of Peter's father; and eventually Peter's own situation.

Somewhere and somehow legal, ethical and philosophical angles are introduced. An "iron rule" argument to justify war is described: a fighter willing to die for his cause has the right to kill. A strange passage permits genocide where there are no surviving members of a community to compensate. Such detours and associations, perhaps interesting in isolation, envelop a plot which consequently is nowhere near as captivating as The Reader. ( )
  jigarpatel | Sep 25, 2019 |
This is the story of Peter who grows up in Germany after the War.
He used to stay with his Grandparents when he was a small boy and he remembers the extract of a story about a soldier returning from the War, Peter is determined to find out what happened in the end of this story.
Also his Mum never really told him about his own Father. He eventually meets him but doesn't tell him he is his son.
Peter also meets a girl called Barbara who he falls in love with.

This book had the potential to be so much better but it really bored me and confused me with its endless reference to Greek mythology .
Was glad to finish it. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Aug 15, 2018 |
New book by the auther of The Reader. Similar themes, but the story diverged into a take-off of The Odessey, which I guess I should read, and he lost me for a while. If you are going to read one of his books, choose The Reader, if you liked The Reader, try this one for comparison. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
I was drawn in by the beginning of this book only to be spit out left disappointed at the end. The search for the author of a partial manuscript found at the home of the narrator's grandparents was interesting and I found myself often wondering where it was going to lead next. Once the narrator learned more and went to America in search of his father, I quickly lost interest and just wanted it to end. The ending was strange, abrupt, and didn't seem to fit the feel of the rest of the book.
  sochri | Nov 21, 2017 |
I got the sense that this novel had many levels and lots of symbolism, and was very intelligent, but I didn't really understand it. As a result it read quite boringly. ( )
  MaidMeri | Mar 28, 2016 |
In mijn jeugd was ik elke vakantie bij mijn grootouders in Zwitserland.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,576,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible