Each Little Bird That Sings by Deborah Wiles

Each Little Bird That Sings (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Deborah Wiles (Author)

Comfort Snowberger is well acquainted with death since her family runs the funeral parlor in their small southern town, but even so the ten-year-old is unprepared for the series of heart-wrenching events that begins on the first day of Easter vacation with the sudden death of her beloved great-uncle Edisto.… (more)
Member:NatWalk
Title:Each Little Bird That Sings
Authors:Deborah Wiles (Author)
Info:Clarion Books (2006), Edition: First, 260 pages

Work Information

Each Little Bird That Sings by Deborah Wiles (2005)

Comfort Snowberger takes death in stride. Her family owns the funeral home in her small town, after all. But when her Uncle Erdisto and Aunt Florentine die, her cousin Peach shows up, and her best friend seems distant, she just wants to retreat to her closet where she does her best thinking.

Beautiful characters in a story based on family, friendship, and loss in a small-town America. Wiles weaves a well-paced plot. Heart-breaking and heart-warming. ( )
  TAPearson | Dec 3, 2021 |
Somewhat conflicted...I thought it was a really good book about dealing with the death of a pet, but I couldn't stand the characters. I probably wouldn't have finished it if it weren't for class. And Declaration was pretty horrible. Maybe she learned her lesson in the end, but some "mistakes" are too much. She can go learn to be a good friend to someone else.

Liked this when it was My Girl. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
I loved the writing in this book, but didn't care for all the death. It's one thing to kill off a couple of well-loved elderly relatives, but when the dog's demise became apparent, I quit reading. ( )
  RobertaLea | Sep 13, 2019 |
Ten-year-old Comfort Snowberger has attended 247 funerals. But that's not surprising, considering that her family runs the town funeral home. And even though Great-uncle Edisto keeled over with a heart attack and Great-great-aunt Florentine dropped dead--just like that--six months later, Comfort knows how to deal with loss, or so she thinks. She's more concerned with avoiding her crazy cousin Peach and trying to figure out why her best friend, Declaration, suddenly won't talk to her. Life is full of surprises. And the biggest one of all is learning what it takes to handle them.

Deborah Wiles has created a unique, funny, and utterly real cast of characters in this heartfelt, and quintessentially Southern coming-of-age novel. Comfort will charm young readers with her wit, her warmth, and her struggles as she learns about life, loss, and ultimately, triumph.
-summary from goodreads.com
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |
This is a good book for young kids to be introduced to death and all the sadness that comes with it.
Comfort lives in a funeral parlor, so her family's business is death. But death comes to her own family and Comfort has to learn how to come to peace with it.

There was nothing extraordinary about this book. Some parts were actually very cliche. I read it for Battle of the Books. I think it's going to be a snore for the kids. It's a thinky/feely book. There really isn't much plot. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

For Liz Van Doren, who stood vigil throughout the dark wordless night and for Jim Pearce, who sang to me in the morning
I come from a family with a lot of dead people.
"Uncle Edisto always said, 'It takes courage to look life in the eye and say yes to---' What did he call it?"
" 'The messy glory,' " I said.
"Yes, that's it."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,535,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible