The Five Tibetans: Five Dynamic Exercises…

The Five Tibetans: Five Dynamic Exercises for Health, Energy, and Personal… (1994)

by Christopher S. Kilham

"New edition of the popular yoga classic"--

I came to this book by chance, but basically my interest is to use the five (actually six) exercises to supplement my exercise routine.

Unfortunately this means that in order to give a full commentary on the book I have to practice with some dedication. So see you all in five years (assuming I keep at it).

As a book, it has some strong points: it's quite concise, and yet seems to give a reasonable (especially in the sense of being sensible) overview of Yoga, even if it's quite slim (even more surprising considering it also details the actual exercises, plus notes on breathing techniques).

I am pretty ignorant about Yoga, but I found the author's attitude refreshing and to the point. Now if you excuse me I have to decide when to start the actual practice... ( )
  pamar | Aug 25, 2014 |
A great explanation of the Five Tibetans!! Not sure if there's anything more to the Five Tibetans than this; but if there is, this is a great overview of how/when/where to practice. Clearly explains the poses and has illustrations. Touches on various types of yoga and meditation.
I would suggest this book to those who practice yoga and/or meditation, and those who just would like to understand the Five Tibetans.
Four out of five. ( )
  veranaz22 | Mar 17, 2011 |
The Five Tibetans are a yogic system of highly energizing postures and exercises that originated in the Himalayas. Liberating and enhancing the innate energetic power of the human body and mind, these five exercises take a minimum of daily time and effort but offer remarkable results in the way of increased physical strength and suppleness as well as mental acuity. In addition, these exercises can be a vehicle for enlivening the senses and generating and harnessing energy for the purpose of self- transformation.

Regular practice of these postures relieves muscular tension and nervous stress, improves respiration and digestion, benefits the cardiovascular system, leads to deep relaxation and well-being, and tunes and energizes the chakras.

The Five Tibetans are explained within the context of traditional yoga, providing a foundation for understanding.

Black-and-white photographs and illustrations complement the text and clearly indicate the proper execution of each exercise.
  Saraswati_Library | Mar 6, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,588,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible