You are here : why we can find our way to…

You are here : why we can find our way to the Moon but get lost in the… (edition 2009)

by Colin Ellard, Colin Ellard

Member:harmen
Title:You are here : why we can find our way to the Moon but get lost in the mall
Authors:Colin Ellard
Other authors:Colin Ellard
Info:New York : Doubleday, c2009.
Rating:**

You Are Here: Why We Can Find Our Way to the Moon, but Get Lost in the Mall by Colin Ellard

Cities for People by Jan Gehl (rakerman)
    rakerman: Both books look at how human psychology relates to space and moving through it, with Ellard's book more related to navigation, and Gehl's more specific to urban design.

Kind of two books in one, the first looking at how various animals find their way around & mostly we don't, and then the second looking at human relationships with the spaces around us. 3-1/2 stars ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
He explains very clearly why some people get lost even with the best directions. Some people really do have no sense of direction. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
I received this book as an ARC from Harper Collins and working title was WHERE AM I?

Interestingly enough, I read this book while I was traveling. My reasons for choosing this book to review were very personal; I am extremely “directionally challenged” and Colin Ellard is a local author for me.

This book starts out with an amusing anecdote about getting lost while on a camping trip and then moves into the mechanics of how navigation through both time and space is learned, perceived and negotiated.

Being prepared for a text book type read, this reader was pleasantly surprised. WHERE AM I is obviously a well researched book and is filled with facts presented in a logical and entertaining way. This book examines travel in every form, from negotiating our own homes to traveling the world and right through the mysterious world of cyberspace. It looks at how all life forms manage to navigate through their life-space and why some are more adept at it than others.

Colin Ellard is an experimental psychologist at the University of Waterloo, Ontario. It is encouraging to me that admits he still gets lost in his home town. This book held my attention through a turbulent plane ride back to Canada, and despite the information presented, I still managed to “misplace” my car in the Park and Fly parking lot.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
This book was recommended by one of my running companions when we were disoriented on a trail. It's nicely organized, one section with chapters on increasingly sophisticated methods of navigation (targets, landmarks, routes, maps), another section with chapters on decreasingly personal/familiar space (home, work, city, cyberspace), a pleasant book to read, but never rises to a level of significance. My sole takeaway is that our minds map space as nodes and connections more than geometrically. The final chapters heavily reference Christopher Alexander, Bill Hillier, Jane Jacobs, Kevin Lynch, whose books are classics for a reason.

(28 May 2011)
2 vote qebo | Jul 16, 2011 |
If you like meandering pop science that explores everything from ancient Inuit culture to how a sea turtle can find his way across thousands of miles of ocean using the Earth's magnetic field, you'll like this book. I did. [ full review ] ( )
  markflanagan | Jul 21, 2010 |
For Karen.
Without you, I am nowhere.
There is a ritual that all parents must endure from time to time, known as the weekend camping trip.

Psychologist Colin Ellard explains how, over centuries of innovation, we have lost our instinctive ability to find our way and suggests that architects and city planners need to consider human behavior when designing human environments, and we all need to recognize that we are part of, not isolated from, the space around us.… (more)

Colin Ellard is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,836,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible