The Kings of Clonmel (2008)

by John Flanagan

Halt, Will, and Horace set out for Hibernia, where a quasi-religious group, the Outsiders, is sowing confusion and sedition, and they find that secrets from Halt's past may hold the key to restoring order before the last kingdom is undermined.

English (25)  Dutch (2)  All languages (27)
Another great read in this author's Ranger's Apprentice series. I felt that the series had started to go a bit downhill but this one was most definitely back on par with the high adventure and the drama of the earlier titles. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Continuing story of Will, the Ranger, who gets assigned to a new Ranger unit to deal with potential crises. Immediately, Will is sent to investigate a marauding group of religious zealots and meets up with mentor Halt and friend Horace, to save the kingdom of Clonmel, his birthplace. The reason for Halt's decision to join the Ranger corps is revealed. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Another great book in one of my favorite series of all time. This time, we get to learn quite a bit more about Halt and get an up-close look at his brother, though we do once again get dropped off at a major cliffhanger which leaves one wanting to rush right to the next book. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Nov 19, 2018 |
Even though Will is a full fledged ranger, he is still working with/under Halt.

In this story, we find out a lot about Halt's past. Will, Horace and Halt are called together as a new task force for dealing with threats outside of the Kingdoms borders.

Once again, tension was just right, laughs were just right. Just a touch of naive'ness and simplicity that makes it a YA title. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
"This book is fantastic and delivers a welcoming fresh take after the whole ""Macindaw arc"" and kind of pointless seventh book. It starts somewhere a few years after the events from the sixth book, after Will's been a Ranger for a few years. From the start, every character is doing his own thing: Will is trying to help some young apprentices on a new Gathering while Halt is out investigating rumors of a ""cult"" which has been causing disturbances at the nearby villages. As a result, the first third of the book is destined to bringing all the characters together (which was really nice since I was afraid I would have to spend another entire book without seeing Halt and Will together).

Once the story is set on its way we see Will, Halt, and Horace together again for yet another dangerous task. The new thing is that this time Flanagan focused a lot on Halt, so we get to discover more about his past, including his family.

The story itself was very good, displaying different elements such as suspense, action and even some shades of darkness and sourness. The Kings of Clonmel was good to read mostly because it shows that Flanagan is making the atmosphere of the books change accordingly to the development of the characters. To be honest, it is my favorite book since book four; I just hope the series keeps getting better from this point on.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
An ordinary archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong.
Sometimes, he thought, all you could do was wait.

The Last Passage
The silence grew between them until Horace finally spoke.
“He wasn’t much of a king,” he said, “but I suppose he was the only one they had.”
It wasn’t quite the way he had intended to put it, and he realized that he’d phrased the thought clumsily. He glanced anxiously at his companion, hoping that he hadn’t offended him.
“Sorry, Halt,” he said awkwardly. Halt looked up at him and gave him a sad smile. He knew there was no malice intended in the young warrior’s words.
“ That’s all right, Horace,” he said. “He wasn’t much of a brother, either. But he was the only one I had.”
The first big drops of rain hit them, and Halt pulled the cowl of his cloak further over his head.
“We should try to make Derryton before dark,” he said.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
To Catherine and Tyler: thanks for everything.
It was Tug, of course, who first sensed the presence of the other horse and rider.

Will, Horace and Halt travel to Eire to investigate the unrest that has taken over Hibernia, to the west of Araluen. Outsiders are causing strife and the kingdoms of Hibernia are falling. It's up to the rangers to find out what's going on.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,571,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible