The Miserable Mill a Series of Unfortunate…

The Miserable Mill a Series of Unfortunate Events Book the 4th (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Lemony Snicket (Author)

Accidents, evil plots, and general misfortune abound when, in their continuing search for a home, the Baudelaire orphans are sent to live and work in a sinister lumber mill.
Member:sseath83
Title:The Miserable Mill a Series of Unfortunate Events Book the 4th
Authors:Lemony Snicket (Author)
Info:Scholastic, Inc. (2001), 194 pages

Work Information

The Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket (2000)

English (95)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (98)
The Miserable Mill did not hold my attention as well as the three previous books. It was somehow too predictable and the humor was kind of flat. ( )
  Marietje.Halbertsma | Jan 9, 2022 |
More tragic absurdity in the lives of the poor little Baudelaire orphans. What I'm enjoying most about this series are the quotable bits of wisdom nestled between the outlandish characters and near-morbid humor. The best one in this book: "Whether it was Uncle Monty's library of reptile books, or Aunt Josephine's library of grammar books, or Justice Strauss's library of law books, or, best of all, their parents' library of all kinds of books - all burned up now, alas - libraries always made them feel a little bit better. Just knowing that they cold read made the Baudelaire orphans feel as if their wretched lives could be a little brighter." ( )
  wandaly | Feb 16, 2021 |
It was fine. A little twist on the omnipresence of certain villains in the first three books, but not perhaps so much of a twist as I would have liked. It's as if these books were written for children. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
I've been reading this series as bedtime stories with Milly, although I did have to go back and read a few myself that she had raced through, unable to wait for me to read them to her at the pace of one chapter a night. They are genuinely brilliant books, funny and dark, mysterious and absurd.

This fourth one sees the orphans sent to work at the Lucky Smells Lumber Mill. Events are really very unfortunate again here, and Lemony Snicket continues to insist we should stop reading and read something more pleasant instead. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Dec 6, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Beatrice -- My love flew like a butterfly Until death swooped down like a bat. The poet Emma Montana McElroy said: "That's the end of that."
Sometime during your life - in fact, very soon - you may find yourself reading a book, and you may notice that a book's first sentence can often tell you what sort of story your book contains.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,269,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible