The Reptile Room - Book 2 of A Series of…

The Reptile Room - Book 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Lemony Snicket

Member:OurClass
Title:The Reptile Room - Book 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:Scholastic Inc (2000), Paperback, 190 pages

The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket (1999)

English (142)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (144)
The buildup was slow and uneventful ( )
  WokeNerdWriter | Mar 27, 2018 |
The Bad Beginning & The Reptile Room, books 1 & 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events

I got these as 99p deals last year because my sister's kids enthused about them and thought I'd see why. In all honesty, I didn't like them - I thought them depressing and I would not consider them to be suitable for younger children. The somewhat whimsical writing style I thought rather patronising; certainly when I was a child I would have resented that.

The Bad Beginning starts when the 3 Baudelaire children are orphaned when their parents die in the fire that destroys their home and are placed in the care of Count Olaf - a relative (of sorts) who lives in the city. Unfortunately, the Count's idea is to get his hands on the children's fortune, held in trust until Violet (the eldest) reaches the age of 18. He attempts to do this by marrying Violet (who is aged 14); thwarted in this because Violet uses the wrong hand to sign the marriage certificate, he is last seen escaping along with his accomplices.

In The Reptile Room, the children are sent to the country to live with their Uncle Montgomery who is a famous herpetologist on the eve of going on an expedition to Peru. His assistant has unexpectedly resigned, and a new assistant is to start. This turns out to be Count Olaf in disguise; his intention is to go to Peru with the children and bump them off there. Uncle Montgomery is murdered in the course of these machinations.

I may be completely missing the attraction these books hold for children, but in all honesty I would consider them to be more a young teen book than the suggested 8-12 years. They also seem rather repetitive.
  Maddz | Mar 1, 2018 |
Very enjoyable and a fast read. Great for kids. ( )
  MHanover10 | Feb 4, 2018 |
Lemony Snicket returns with another tale of the miserable Baudelaire children. The beginning of this book is not as atmospheric or creepy as its predecessor, but it soon becomes an interesting cross between a really long Encyclopedia Brown mystery and a "Who's On First?" comedy routine. Children will once again learn the importance of being clever, while adults will see just enough inside jokes to keep them snickering, too. ( )
  quaintlittlehead | Jan 1, 2018 |
I wish this series had been around when I was a kid. It would have been a great way to gain perspective and insight on my own peculiar circumstances, and I'd have especially enjoyed Klaus. He reads as much and as eagerly as I do. The inability of adults to recognize Count Olaf in his disguises is a bit hard to believe for me as an adult reader, but then again I remember how frustrating it was as a kid when adults would just ignore sensible things I said because I was just a kid. Keeping that in mind, these stories aren't that far-fetched. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- My love for you shall live forever. You, however, did not.
The stretch of road that leads out of the city, past Hazy Harbor and into the town of Tedia, is perhaps the most unpleasant in the world.

Dear Reader,

If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale, I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire children, you already know that pleasant events lead down the same road to misery.

In fact, within the pages you now hold in your hands, the three siblings endure a car accident, a terrible odor, a deadly serpent, a long knife, a long brass reading lamp, and a reappearance of a person they'd hoped never to see again.

I am bound to record these tragic events, but you are free to put this book back on the shelf and seek something lighter.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407675, Hardcover)

The Reptile Room begins where Lemony Snicket's The Bad Beginning ends... on the road with the three orphaned Baudelaire children as they are whisked away from the evil Count Olaf to face "an unknown fate with some unknown relative." But who is this Dr. Montgomery, their late father's cousin's wife's brother? "Would Dr. Montgomery be a kind person? they wondered. Would he at least be better than Count Olaf? Could he possibly be worse?" He certainly is not worse, and in fact when the Baudelaire children discover that he makes coconut cream cakes, circles the globe looking for snakes to study, and even plans to take them with him on his scientific expedition to Peru, the kids can't believe their luck. And, if you have read the first book in this Series of Unfortunate Events, you won't believe their luck either. Despite the misadventures that befall these interesting, intelligent, resourceful orphans, you can trust that the engaging narrator will make their story--suspenseful and alarming as it is--a true delight. The Wide Window is next, and more are on their way. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

After narrowly escaping the menacing clutches of the dastardly Count Olaf, the three Baudelaire orphans are taken in by a kindly herpetologist with whom they live happily for an all-too-brief time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,454,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible