The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate…

The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 6) (A Series of… (original 1999; edition 2001)

by Lemony Snicket (Author)

After narrowly escaping the menacing clutches of the dastardly Count Olaf, the three Baudelaire orphans are taken in by a kindly herpetologist with whom they live happily for an all-too-brief time.
Member:Rhondadarlage1963
Title:The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 6) (A Series of Unfortunate Events, 6)
Authors:Lemony Snicket (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Edition: 1st Edition, 272 pages

The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket (1999)

English (161)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (163)
I've been reading this series as bedtime stories with Milly, although I did have to go back and read a few myself that she had raced through, unable to wait for me to read them to her at the pace of one chapter a night. This is one I had to read by myself a little later to catch up. They are genuinely brilliant books, funny and dark, mysterious and absurd.

This second one sees the orphans placed with Uncle Monty, and it initially seems like their luck may have changed, but they are not called A Series of Unfortunate Events for nothing. Like the first one the writing is written in a very specific style, with words amusingly defined and Sunny speaking nonsense that only her siblings can decode. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Dec 6, 2020 |
The Reptile Room starts with a small recap of the first unfortunate event because it is important for the reader to know that Mr. Poe, a family friend from the bank, is still in charge of finding the Baudelaire orphans a suitable place to live. It is even more important to be reminded that Count Olaf escaped in the first Unfortunate book. When we meet back up with the children they have been shuffled off to their even more distance relative, Uncle Monty. Montgomery Montgomery is a world renowned herpetologist with a roomful of, you guessed it, snakes (hence the title of Book Number Two of the Series of Unfortunate Events). Of course, the snakes turn out to be the Baudelaire children's downfall. I won't say anymore than that.
True to form, the stylistic pattern for Lemony's books is to constantly remind you to slam the book closed and not read another word; to go read another book if you want a happy ending. Dear reader, you also need to accept Lemony is going to define words every now and then. It's all part of the schtick. It just is. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Nov 11, 2020 |
In this book, you can not fall in love with the three orphans and despise Count Olaf. Also how Mr. Poe can sometimes a little bit stupid. I like the series because it teaching a lot of things the children that read them. They are very interesting to find out what is the next unfortunate event that will happen. I have the third one on my TBR shelf and looking forward to reading it.
Maybe I am not the audience to read those books, because of my age, but I enjoy them very much. ( )
  AvigailRGRIL | Nov 5, 2020 |
Like, I know it’s the point™ and it’s not really a complaint from me, more of an exasperated observation, but I can’t stress enough how infuriating every single adult in this book is.

But overall, I love this. ( )
  tetiana.90 | Sep 16, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- My love for you shall live forever. You, however, did not.
The stretch of road that leads out of the city, past Hazy Harbor and into the town of Tedia, is perhaps the most unpleasant in the world.

Dear Reader,

If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale, I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire children, you already know that pleasant events lead down the same road to misery.

In fact, within the pages you now hold in your hands, the three siblings endure a car accident, a terrible odor, a deadly serpent, a long knife, a long brass reading lamp, and a reappearance of a person they'd hoped never to see again.

I am bound to record these tragic events, but you are free to put this book back on the shelf and seek something lighter.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,973,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible