Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to…

Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with… (original 1992; edition 2008)

by Vicki Robin (Author)

2,120324,836 (4.11)31
Revised and Updated In an age of great economic uncertainty when everyone is concerned about money and how they spend what they have, this new edition of the bestselling Your Money or Your Lifeis an essential read. With updated resources, an easy-to-use index, and anecdotes and examples particularly relevant today?t tells you how to: ?get out of debt and develop savings ?reorder material priorities and live well for less ?resolve inner conflicts between values and lifestyle ?save the planet while saving money ?and much more In Your Money or Your Life, Vicki Robin shows readers how to gain control of their money and finally begin to make a life, rather than just make a living.… (more)
Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence: Fully Revised and Updated for 2018
Authors:Vicki Robin (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2008), Edition: Revised, 368 pages
Collections:Loaned from Library
Rating:**
Tags:Non Fiction, Financial

Your Money or Your Life by Joe Dominguez (1992)

English (30)  Swedish (1)  All languages (31)
This was recommended as a good “money lifestyle” read on one of the YouTube channels I follow (The Financial Diet). It feels a bit dated at times but overall did offer up some interesting financial food for thought.

The main premise of the book is the idea of looking at money that you spend as life energy. Any time you work to make money is part of your life energy you are giving to that process. As you purchase things in your life you should be cognizant of this.

The book presents a ten step process for being FI (financially independent). This process involves doing a lot of things that I already do as part of my finances, but might be eye opening to those who like to turn a blind eye or ignore their finances. It involves things like calculating your net worth and figuring how much dollars->life energy you are actually spending on day to day items.

I really like this idea and it did make me reconsider the way I spend money. I was able to look at our personal finances more closely and target trouble areas (like the amount we spend on eating out). I also really enjoyed some of the stats and historical discussion about American life and economy and the innate problems American society has.

I did think their final step of being able to live off of interest from bonds to become completely FI was a bit unrealistic. The book is updated to mention that in more current times it may be more practical to diversify that strategy. It is also mentioned that any investing comes with risk and adopting this style of life can be risky.

In the end I think I pulled enough useful information from this book to impact my life and finances in a positive way. Will I adopt this type of lifestyle completely? Probably not, I will take a more moderate approach and modify trouble areas of my life.

Overall I would definitely recommend to those who are interested in becoming financially independent and really want to take a look at how money affects their lives. This is also a good book for those who want to get a head start on ridding themselves of debt and planning a solid retirement. ( )
  krau0098 | Jul 7, 2019 |
Smart basic personal finance book. It could have been 100 pages instead of 400. ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
I found this book to be quite informative, especially for those who are beginning to handle their own finances. I have been tracking my finances for some time and recently watching those expenses so that I can reach financial independence sooner. Still, those book was helpful in rethinking some things and reinforcing others. Yes, it is not the perfect book on financial independence but it is a very good book in assisting one in rethinking how they handle money.

I am a frugal person by nature, but have changed my perspective and approaches to reach my goals sooner. Not everything may work for everyone. Each has to find their own path and figure what works for them, but this book is a good start and should be a recommended read. ( )
  grumpydan | Sep 16, 2018 |
I think a good alternate title for this book would be Money Mindfulness or Meditation for Money. It's primarily aimed at changing one's psychological relationship with money and encouraging everyone to become more aware of purpose and meaning in life, with the limited amount of time we have left.

I'd give it 5 stars, if not for some of the writing being a little cliche, with repetition of the importance of "the program." Still, I appreciate the "try it and decide for yourself" attitude throughout most of the book, and I got a few great book recommendations, as well. I'm currently halfway through Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl, and I'm riveted. ( )
  poppycock77 | May 26, 2018 |
Philosophy about and practical steps you can make to change the way you relate to money in order to live more deliberately and meaningfully.
  Lake_Oswego_UCC | May 21, 2017 |

Dominguez, Joeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robin, Vickimain authorall editionsconfirmed
Farrell, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hartman, VictoriaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tilford, Moniquesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We dedicate this book to all of the people

who are actively engaged in leaving our planet

in better shape than they found it.
"Your money or your life."

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,680,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible