Eragon: Book I (The Inheritance Cycle 1) by…

Eragon: Book I (The Inheritance Cycle 1) (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Christopher Paolini (Author)

Series: Inheritance Cycle (1)

In Alagaesia, a fifteen-year-old boy of unknown lineage called Eragon finds a mysterious stone that weaves his life into an intricate tapestry of destiny, magic, and power, peopled with dragons, elves, and monsters.
Member:MissMyers
Title:Eragon: Book I (The Inheritance Cycle 1)
Authors:Christopher Paolini (Author)
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2003), 528 pages

Work Information

Eragon by Christopher Paolini (2002)

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (jubjub_luver1)
    jubjub_luver1: Both are great adventure books, full of fantasy, adventure, and dragons!
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (jpers36)
    Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (snapplechick)
    Eldest by Christopher Paolini (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Continuation of the story . . .
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Proginoskes)
    Proginoskes: A necessity for any fan of quality fantasy to read.
    The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (dagnirath)
    The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: If you enjoy fantasy works than you will love the Eragon series.
    Archie Wilson & the Nuckelavee by Mark A. Cooper (DonPeterson)
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In Dragon's Blood, indentured servant Jakkin struggles to win his freedom by secretly raising a stolen dragon's egg. I loved Jakkin's bond with his dragon and the intrigue of it all.
    Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (dagnirath)
    Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (dagnirath)
    dagnirath: Pawn of prophecy... has nothing to do with dragons. However, it does have the same writing style, and Eddings is a master storyteller.
    Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey (macoram, macoram)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: If you like quest stories with supernatural creatures, Sea of Trolls is for you. Bard apprentice Jack is kidnapped by Vikings and must face a whole host of creatures straight out of Norse mythology to rescue his sister Lucy.
    Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)
    The Elven by Bernhard Hennen (MissBrangwen, Tanks)
    Dragonsinger: Harper of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)
    Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)
    Dragonsdawn by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Book one of a great series from Mercedes Lackey.
    The Skies of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)

English (587)  German (7)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Croatian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (607)
A beautifully written book about a boy Eragon and his dragon Saphira. There are many similarities with the LOTR trilogy and in some instances Harry Potter books, but it is still a very well written book. ( )
  BeingKejo | Nov 10, 2021 |
We enjoyed this one quite a bit. Seeing Eragon gradually go from farm boy, to dragon rider, to swordsman, to magic user was exciting and kept us interested. I'm not sure if we'll continue the series, at least not right now, but we had a fun time in Alagaesia at least for the first book. ( )
  doerrhb | Oct 31, 2021 |
2.5 stars.

I love dragons, but I have found the story very plain, especially the characters and the writing. ( )
  Sara_Lucario | Oct 19, 2021 |
Either a blatant copy of several well-know tales or a quite ill-disguised and under-edited version of the classic hero-quest tale. I still envy him though. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
I decided to re-read The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini and I was pleased by how much I enjoyed it. I liked it more this time than I did the first time because I was able to skip some of the slower bits since I had read it before. I thoroughly enjoy the characters and I like how detailed a world Christopher Paolini has built but the story does definitely drag at points. I still loathe the way the series ends though. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
''Eragon,'' for all its flaws, is an authentic work of great talent. The story is gripping; it may move awkwardly, but it moves with force. The power of ''Eragon'' lies in its overall effects -- in the sweep of the story and the conviction of its storyteller. Here, Paolini is leagues ahead of most writers, and it is exactly here that his youth is on his side.

Eragon and Saphira run off with the village story teller, Brom, after the ra’zac kill his uncle, Garrow. They start to hunt the ra’zac in order to achieve revenge, however, Eragon received visions of an elf, Arya, who had been captured. They then instead went to the city she was held at, but Brom was killed. Eragon and Saphira were only just saved by their mysterious new friend, Murtagh. They go to the city where the elf is held, and, after Eragon himself got captured, they freed the elf. The elf is poisoned, however, so the group rushed to the rebel group, known as the Varden, in the dwarvish capital Farthen Dur. She is saved just in time to defend the city from an attack by the urgal, a monstrous race of beings being controlled by the powerful shade, Durza. In the midst of the fight Eragon, with the help of Arya and Saphira, defeats the shade bringing the battle to an end

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuittinen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stefanidis, JoannisÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my mom, for showing me the magic in the world;
to my dad, for revealing the man behind the curtain.
And also my sister, Angela, for helping me when I'm "blue."
Eragon knelt in a bed of trampled reed grass and scanned the tracks with a practiced eye.
PROLOGUE:
SHAED OF FEAR
Wind howled through the night, carrying a scent that would change the world.

It has been one hundred years since the last of the legendary Dragon Riders was slain by the evil Galbatorix, whose tyranny now weighs heavily upon the vast land of Alagaësia. Only three dragon eggs survived the slaughter, and when one of these eggs hatches to a farm-boy named Eragon, Galbatorix dispatches his most fearsome minions to hunt the new Rider down. With his dragon to protect him, Eragon manages to survive the king's first attack, but his uncle is not so lucky. Before long, Eragon finds himself on a quest for revenge that will take him to the far ends of Alagaësia – but an epic power struggle rages around him, and he will soon come to understand the monumental weight of the legacy he has inherited.

AR level 5.6, 25 pts.
Doubleday Children's Books. Hardcover. Book Condition: Fine. 0385607881 Doubleday, 2004. Hardcover. Book Condition: Fine. Dust Jacket Condition: Fine. 1st Edition. flat signed on title page by author. Includes Eragon Bookmark

5 2071

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,029,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible