Eragon (Inheritance, Book 1) by Christopher…

Eragon (Inheritance, Book 1) (original 2002; edition 2005)

by Christopher Paolini

In Alagaesia, a fifteen-year-old boy of unknown lineage called Eragon finds a mysterious stone that weaves his life into an intricate tapestry of destiny, magic, and power, peopled with dragons, elves, and monsters.
Member:JetSilver
Title:Eragon (Inheritance, Book 1)
Authors:Christopher Paolini
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2005), Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:*

Eragon by Christopher Paolini (2002)

Recently added byzchrykng, private library, William_Lamer, Kyl33, betsylee5, Caamano, daisy4kw, afkendrick, LoriFox
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (jubjub_luver1)
    jubjub_luver1: Both are great adventure books, full of fantasy, adventure, and dragons!
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (jpers36)
    Brisingr by Christopher Paolini (snapplechick)
    Eldest by Christopher Paolini (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Continuation of the story . . .
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Proginoskes)
    Proginoskes: A necessity for any fan of quality fantasy to read.
    The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (dagnirath)
    The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: If you enjoy fantasy works than you will love the Eragon series.
    Archie Wilson & the Nuckelavee by Mark A. Cooper (DonPeterson)
    Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: In Dragon's Blood, indentured servant Jakkin struggles to win his freedom by secretly raising a stolen dragon's egg. I loved Jakkin's bond with his dragon and the intrigue of it all.
    Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (dagnirath)
    Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings (dagnirath)
    dagnirath: Pawn of prophecy... has nothing to do with dragons. However, it does have the same writing style, and Eddings is a master storyteller.
    Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey (macoram, macoram)
    The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: If you like quest stories with supernatural creatures, Sea of Trolls is for you. Bard apprentice Jack is kidnapped by Vikings and must face a whole host of creatures straight out of Norse mythology to rescue his sister Lucy.
    Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)
    The Elven by Bernhard Hennen (MissBrangwen, Tanks)
    Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)
    Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)
    Dragonsdawn by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)
    Joust by Mercedes Lackey (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Book one of a great series from Mercedes Lackey.
    The Skies of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (macoram)

English (571)  German (6)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Vietnamese (1)  Croatian (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (589)
I found Paolini's world to be derivative and completely lacking in individualism. As I was reading, I was noting, Oh look, he's read Tolkein, Beowulf, etc etc. Also, the main character irritated me so much that I actually quit reading about 20 pages from the end. I simply didn't care about him one iota. He was arrogant and uncaring, and the whole story simply didn't hang together for me. ( )
  JenniferElizabeth2 | Aug 25, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
It's pretty much Star Wars: A New Hope. I went back and reread this book with the added benefit of years and literary experience, and it is a trope-filled disaster with so many issues. Eragon quickly becomes the quintessential Mary Sue, while the magic system becomes too convoluted for its own good.

It’s classic YA from a time before YA (especially fantasy YA) flooded the market. My only other exposure to the genre was maybe Redwall and Lord of the Rings. Eragon was something different. Is it a good series? Objectively, it is not. But it was a formative series for me and a lot of other young readers when it came out, and if it was a gateway to the genre for people then it wasn't all bad. I give it 2 stars for trying. ( )
  YakaRa | Jul 25, 2020 |
''Eragon,'' for all its flaws, is an authentic work of great talent. The story is gripping; it may move awkwardly, but it moves with force. The power of ''Eragon'' lies in its overall effects -- in the sweep of the story and the conviction of its storyteller. Here, Paolini is leagues ahead of most writers, and it is exactly here that his youth is on his side.

Eragon and Saphira run off with the village story teller, Brom, after the ra’zac kill his uncle, Garrow. They start to hunt the ra’zac in order to achieve revenge, however, Eragon received visions of an elf, Arya, who had been captured. They then instead went to the city she was held at, but Brom was killed. Eragon and Saphira were only just saved by their mysterious new friend, Murtagh. They go to the city where the elf is held, and, after Eragon himself got captured, they freed the elf. The elf is poisoned, however, so the group rushed to the rebel group, known as the Varden, in the dwarvish capital Farthen Dur. She is saved just in time to defend the city from an attack by the urgal, a monstrous race of beings being controlled by the powerful shade, Durza. In the midst of the fight Eragon, with the help of Arya and Saphira, defeats the shade bringing the battle to an end

Paolini, Christopherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuittinen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scotto di Santillo, Maria ConcettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my mom, for showing me the magic in the world;
to my dad, for revealing the man behind the curtain.
And also my sister, Angela, for helping me when I'm "blue."
Eragon knelt in a bed of trampled reed grass and scanned the tracks with a practiced eye.
PROLOGUE:
SHAED OF FEAR
Wind howled through the night, carrying a scent that would change the world.

It has been one hundred years since the last of the legendary Dragon Riders was slain by the evil Galbatorix, whose tyranny now weighs heavily upon the vast land of Alagaësia. Only three dragon eggs survived the slaughter, and when one of these eggs hatches to a farm-boy named Eragon, Galbatorix dispatches his most fearsome minions to hunt the new Rider down. With his dragon to protect him, Eragon manages to survive the king's first attack, but his uncle is not so lucky. Before long, Eragon finds himself on a quest for revenge that will take him to the far ends of Alagaësia – but an epic power struggle rages around him, and he will soon come to understand the monumental weight of the legacy he has inherited.

AR level 5.6, 25 pts.
Doubleday Children's Books. Hardcover. Book Condition: Fine. 0385607881 Doubleday, 2004. Hardcover. Book Condition: Fine. Dust Jacket Condition: Fine. 1st Edition. flat signed on title page by author. Includes Eragon Bookmark

4 2070
5 1987

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,650,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible