Fatal Last Words by Quintin Jardine

Fatal Last Words

by Quintin Jardine

As DCC Bob Skinner stands on the edge of a career-defining moment and his fiancee, Scotland's First Minister Aileen de Marco, faces a political crisis, a famous figure from another field is found dead. As the mystery deepens, Skinner finds himself crossing swords with an old enemy from the past.--Publisher.… (more)

Overall an okay mystery. I liked the plot, centred as it was on the Edinburgh International Book Festival, and there were some clever lines here and there, and I liked the setting. However, I felt there was rather a lot of expository dialogue, primarily when the cops were talking about their co-workers or people they knew -- they'd take the opportunity to recite the person's entire life story in a single scrap of dialogue, when I suspect the characters probably actually knew all that and were filling in extra info for the benefit of the reader. I didn't manage to guess the culprit, but that's par for the course for me so it does not affect my rating. The question is, do I continue reading this series? Perhaps, if I find a plot sufficiently interesting and I remember not to heighten my expectations. That was likely my problem with this -- I was very excited to read it and it probably suffered. Also it may not have been a very good bus book, even with the short chapters, which I thought would be ideal bus material.

To sum up: read if it interests you. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Mar 7, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,948,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible