Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for…

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy,… (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Like many others, around the time Elizabeth Gilbert turned 30, she went through an early-onslaught midlife crisis. Although she had everything an educated, ambitious American woman was supposed to want, including a husband, a home, and a successful career, she was consumed with panic, grief, and confusion. This is an account of her pursuit of worldly pleasure, spiritual devotion, and what she really wanted out of life.… (more)
Member:angeljkay
Title:Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia
Authors:Elizabeth Gilbert
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2007), Paperback, 352 pages

Work Information

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (2006)

Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert (cafepithecus)
    Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell (heidialice)
    Now Is the Time to Open Your Heart by Alice Walker (aleahmarie)
    aleahmarie: An American woman reaching mid-life shrugs off all she has done in order to discover who she might be. Both stories resonate with spirituality, the feminine, and exotic travel.
    Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (KatyBee)
    KatyBee: Another woman's search.
    Dreaming in Hindi by Katherine Russell Rich (amyblue)
    How to Be Single by Liz Tuccillo (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: This is a way better book than Eat Pray Love. A similar premise but written well. The main character decides to go on a journey around the world and research how people are single in different countries. Humourous and endearing!
    A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena de Blasi (infiniteletters)
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Both deal with the same kind of mixed spirituality.
    The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World by Carl Safina (jordantaylor)
    Enlightenment for Idiots by Anne Cushman (Katie_H)
    A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe by Faith Conlon (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: I enjoyed this collection of short stories much more than Eat, Pray, Love.
    Yoga Bitch: One Woman's Quest to Conquer Skepticism, Cynicism, and Cigarettes on the Path to Enlightenment by Suzanne Morrison (ainsleytewce)
    It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather Armstrong (spacepotatoes)
    Extra Virgin: A Young Woman Discovers the Italian Riviera, Where Every Month Is Enchanted by Annie Hawes (Bcteagirl)
    Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald (bogreader)
    The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry: Love, Laughter, and Tears in Paris at the World's Most Famous Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn (DixonClassroom)
    How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill (lornay)
    lornay: both of them are about privileged people whose lives went down the tubes and were able to pull themselves up again.
    The Server by Tim Parks (JuliaMaria)
    Expecting Adam: A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic by Martha Beck (infiniteletters)

English (792)  Dutch (12)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All languages (827)
Originally published in 2006.

I had watched this movie a few months earlier, starring Julia Roberts, but had no idea it was from this book, much less a true experience in the author's search for inner peace and balance, and God. The book is way better than the movie.

Some of us have quiet minds, and some of us don't. If yours is quiet, you may find this book a little slow, stupid and whiney as some of the reviews read. Me? I loved it! I'm so drawn to these spiritual memoirs of self discovery, just like in the books "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed and "Julie and Julia" by Julie Powell. I find it interesting how each one is driven in their search in such totally different ways.

I felt like this author, in "Eat Pray Love", and I are very similar in our personal life and insecurities, except she had the good fortune to actually travel abroad to discover her meaning and purpose in life. While I could only ever dream about traveling abroad.

I love the author's writing style with a little dose of humor, which actually had me laughing out loud at times, and she's actually very knowledgable about the countries she visits and insightful on her quest to find her inner peace and balance, and God. She writes in such a way that when she's in Italy, you feel like you're in Italy as well and eating all the great foods with her. When she's in India exploring her feelings and self through meditation, she brings you along and teaches you as she learns. And when in Indonesia, living freely, but abstaining from personal intimacy, for a while anyway, you learn what she means by finding balance in her life. ( )
  MissyIvey | Sep 20, 2022 |
Travel memoir. This woman had a painful, messy divorce and then jumped into a new relationship too fast, which eventually floundered but she couldn’t end it cleanly. Decided (on a whim it sounds like) to take a break from life as it were, and sort out her internal priorities. She spent a year travelling- four months each in Italy, India and Bali (island in Indonesia). Her basic goals were to indulge in pleasure in Italy (via food), immerse herself in the spiritual in India, and find some balance in Bali. I was impressed that she worked to learn the language before and during her stay in Italy. That she spent most of her time in India in an ashram, following the teachings of a guru, doing meditation, periods of silence, and service (this varied from scrubbing floors to being a guide and hostess to new arrivals who were attending a retreat at the ashram. The whole time she is searching for a spiritual experience, but it doesn’t come in the way she expects. Finally, she journeys to Bali where she spends her time between visiting a medicine man and hanging out with a traditional healer who becomes her friend, but then it gets a bit messy in the end when she asks people back home for donations online to help this woman buy a house . . . Through it all, she’s really doing a ton of navel-gazing, trying to understand her past actions and straighten herself out for the future. Soul searching, I guess. I thought this would put me off- the details about culture and scenery in these far away places she visited might be a lot more interesting than internal monologues or conversations with herself via writing in a journal.

But not at all. I found her struggles so very relatable, even though she’s a very different type of person than me. The honesty and humor won me over, I liked the writing style, I found all the people she met and friends she made interesting too. Even the parts about meditation and religious experiences in India were thoughtful to read about, while I don’t consider myself a religious person anymore. This book had similarlites in my mind to both Richard Bach (somebody is probably cringing at that) and Tracks– because it’s about a single woman travelling? Not sure. Maybe the voice. So while I don’t agree with or understand all the author’s opinions and means in this book, it was a good read regardless. Sometimes seeing opposite ways that other people view the world is just so interesting. And I didn’t mention yet- in the final part of the book, she falls in love with a Brazilian man. One of a group of ex-pats. I expected I was going to find that part boring, but the storytelling was still good.

It didn’t come across as terribly whiny to me, though I can see why other readers felt so. I did get annoyed at how she kept referring to herself as an “old woman” in her thirties! Please! I’m in my forties and don’t feel old yet.

from the Dogear Diary ( )
  jeane | Aug 13, 2022 |
Bookclub book ( )
  PatLibrary123 | Aug 9, 2022 |
I liked parts of this book- the food in Italy mostly, the decriptions of the time in India...
But, she really whined a lot and I am not one for whining! Get enough of that with a four year old in the house. ( )
  panamamama | Aug 2, 2022 |
So the only reason that I rated this anything less then 5 stars is because sometimes did get annoying to hear a privileged white woman complain.

However the message behind this book was just so moving. It really is about making the most out of life despite the difficult things that are thrown your way. It also gives you a lot of the basics of meditation practices which was really insightful to read.

It was also just fun to hear her journey. To hear more about the people she met in the strangest of places. It just felt heartwarming. It also continues to harp back on a really important idea, to do things for yourself. Many people spend so much time pleasing others, whether consciously or not, that they may not realize to take a moment and breathe and focus on yourself. ( )
  kayfeif | Jul 7, 2022 |
Gilbert is suffering from shattered confidence. Who hasn't been there? Who hasn't cried on a bathroom floor, sure that our life is over at 32? Gilbert's beauty is that she isn't exceptional; she's just an ordinary gal with a broken heart and gift for writing.

Lacking a ballast of gravitas or grit, the book lists into the realm of magical thinking: nothing Gilbert touches seems to turn out wrong; not a single wish goes unfulfilled. What's missing are the textures and confusion and unfinished business of real life, as if Gilbert were pushing these out of sight so as not to come off as dull or equivocal or downbeat.

Your book was recommended by a friend, and he's right in saying this story is awesome. Why don't you try to join N0velStar's writing contest?
added by Gab_Cruz | editreview

Elizabeth Gilbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bustelo, GabrielaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tell the truth, tell the truth, tell the truth.*
----Sheryl Louise Moller

Except when attempting to solve emergency Balinese real estate transactions, such as described in Book 3.
For Susan Brown--
who provided refuge
even from 12,000 miles away
When you're traveling in India -- especially through holy sites and Ashrams -- you see a lot of people wearing beads around their necks. (Introduction)
I wish Giovanni would kiss me.
A few months after I'd left Indonesia, I returned to visit loved ones and celebrate the Christmas and New Year's holiday. (Final Recognition and Reassurance)
When I get lonely these days, I think: So be lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.
...I don't care how diligently scholars of every religion will try to sit you down with their stacks of books and prove to you through scripture that their faith is indeed rational; it isn't. If faith were rational, it wouldn't be—by definition—faith. Faith is belief in what you cannot see or prove or touch. Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark.
Man is neither entirely a puppet of the gods, nor is he entirely the captain of his own destiny; he's a little of both.
Culturally, though not theologically, I'm a Christian.

Come molti altri, nel periodo in cui Elizabeth Gilbert compì 30 anni, attraversò una crisi di mezza età precoce. Sebbene avesse tutto ciò che una donna americana istruita e ambiziosa avrebbe dovuto desiderare, inclusi un marito, una casa e una carriera di successo, era consumata dal panico, dal dolore e dalla confusione. Questo è un resoconto della sua ricerca del piacere mondano, della devozione spirituale e di ciò che voleva veramente dalla vita.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,959,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible