The One Tree (The Second Chronicles of…

The One Tree (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Book 2) (original 1982; edition 1982)

by Stephen R. Donaldson (Author)

Thomas Covenant and Linden Avery flee from the Land in search for the One Tree, the powerful life force whose branches alone can re-make the Staff of Law. Lord Foul's Ravers, however, are never far behind them. Other books featuring these characters include The Wounded Land.
Member:Rick_Shafer
Title:The One Tree (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Book 2)
Authors:Stephen R. Donaldson (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (1982), Edition: 1st, 475 pages

The One Tree by Stephen R. Donaldson (1982)

English (9)  Dutch (1)  All languages (10)
It took me a bit longer to read this book than the first four. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this book. The quest continues with almost all of the story being on ship or island. Linden's character is developed quite a bit more in this book and we learn why she behaved the way she did in The Wounded Land and what her fears and motivations are. We also learn more about the Haruchai, the Giants, and we encounter several new characters and peoples. This story also serves to solidify the back story that has been established in the first books. ( )
  quinton.baran | Mar 29, 2021 |
I owned this series once, but have since let it go. In his search for a properly alienated hero, SD came up with a man whom I found to be dreary and too self pitying for my taste. He's dull, and the role-playing world that I was game-mastering at the time was far more interesting than SD's creation. Into the bargain, I seem to have read this second volume of the trilogy out of sequence. Thomas Covenant's not my man. ( )
1 vote DinadansFriend | Apr 6, 2014 |
I struggled with the black mood of this series, although I found the world building and characters kept me involved. ( )
  Scribble.Orca | Mar 31, 2013 |
We fought the Law and, well, the dark lord pretty much came out on top of that one.

Covenant wants to do something about the whole screwed up Staff of Law situation, and this involves a quest with Avery and some Haruchai.

Many mysterious mythological races and monsters to be encountered along the way to the One Tree and World's End. Not that Covenant really knows what to do when he gets there.

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2008/04/one-tree-stephen-r-donaldson.html ( )
  maketest | Aug 26, 2009 |
In the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, ten years have passed for Covenant on our earth. When he is summoned back to The Land thousands of years have passed and his deeds have become the stuff of myth and legend while the land has changed dramatically. This trilogy is even darker than the First Chronicles and both of the primary protagonists, Covenant and Linden Avery, definitely qualify as anti-heroes. The Land itself has been twisted into a malevelant caricature of its former healthy self. It is really interesting to watch the character of Linden and her relationship with Covenant slowly develop as the books move along.

In The One Tree Covenant, Linden, and the rest embark on their GiantShip on the quest for the One Tree. In this book, Donaldson gets an opportunity to further develop the Giants that were involved peripherally in the First Chronicles. We also come face to face with the legendary Elohim and Sand-Gorgon’s that received passing mention there. ( )
  jveezer | Jun 5, 2009 |

Donaldson, Stephen R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Pat McKillip--a friend in all the best ways
Linden Avery walked beside Covenant down through the ways of Coercri.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,250,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible