Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo

Jane Austen Ruined My Life (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Beth Pattillo

Denied tenure in the wake of the scandal and left penniless by the ensuing divorce, English professor Emma Grant packs up what few worldly possessions she has left and heads to England on a quest to find the missing letters of Jane Austen. Laced with fictional excerpts from the missing letters, this is the story of a woman betrayed who uncovers the deeper meaning of loyalty.… (more)
Member:AustenBlog
Title:Jane Austen Ruined My Life
Authors:Beth Pattillo
Info:GuidepostsBooks (2009), Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:Paraliterature, Modern

Work Information

Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo (2009)

Emma Grant blames Jane Austen for her belief in "happily ever after," as well as her parents. Emma recently found her husband cheating with her teaching assistant on their kitchen table. To make matters worse, the TA accused Emma of plagiarism and her jerk of a husband sided with the TA.
She goes off to England and is complies with some "tasks" that an elderly woman sets to her. All having to do with Jane Austen and a gap in her life span that historians cannot account for.

This book wasn't horrible, but it isn't fantastic either. Get it from the library. There are a few spelling errors and one major Jane Austen faux pas regarding the family's surname of Mansfield Park. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
It was okay. Unrealistic in many ways and Emma wasn't quite likable enough to draw me in and Adam wasn't quite developed enough for me to like him. The Formidables and the drawing in of Adam by Mrs. Parrot were definitely quite interesting. ( )
1 vote Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
This book has many of the elements of the film National Treasure: a secret society, a series of clues to follow and tasks to perform, lost documents, and a dose of romance. I think that most readers will enjoy this newest release by Beth Pattillo.

Belongs to Series

When a young lady is to be a heroine, the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her. Something must and will happen to throw a hero in her way."

—Jane Austen
For Sam and Meg, with all my heart
Jane Austen ruined my life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,392,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible