Flotsametrics and the Floating World: How…

Flotsametrics and the Floating World: How One Man's Obsession with… (2009)

by Curtis Ebbesmeyer, Eric Scigliano (Author)

Pioneering oceanographer Curtis Ebbesmeyer unravels the mystery of marine currents, uncovers the astonishing story of flotsam, and changes the world's view of trash, the ocean, and our global environment by calling attention to the threats that global warming and disintegrating plastic waste pose to the seas...and to us.… (more)

I always enjoy books written by passionate, obsessed science geeks. This is not a particularly linear book, but wow, it's interesting. It does point out in depressing detail just how badly we've screwed ourselves with plastics. I knew about part of the plastic problem in the oceans from reading the magnificent books of Carl Safina, but I didn't know that there are places in the ocean where look-alike particles of plastic outnumber plankton 50 to 1. Makes it hard to get a decent meal, if plankton is what one eats.

The work Ebbesmeyer has done on learning about and explicating the big gyres is simply fascinating. As is what washes up on the beach, and when, and how. The full story about the Nike spill is here, as well as the adorable tub toys that are still washing up. Thanks, Dr. Brazelton! *sigh*

The writing is hard to follow at some points, and wildly discursive at others. But worth it. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Just beautiful!!

the world as a finely tuned machine. the ocean currents as interrelated gears.
flotsam and jetsam as the indicators of ocean currents, and microcurrents, eddies---ginving us a read on those gears.

and all bets off as to what will happen when the ice melts....

a truely inspired scientist whose life has been one of going where his deep curiousity takes him. ( )
  aulap | Nov 8, 2009 |

Curtis Ebbesmeyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Scigliano, EricAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Surely the sea

is the most beautiful face in our universe.

Mary Oliver, “The Waves”
To Susie, who made this journey possible
Dave Barry, who often harkens back to his salad days as a reporter covering sewage treatment, isn't the only journalist to recall that unglamorous beat fondly. (Preface: A New World, by Eric Scigliano)
In the wee hours of May 27, 1990, midway between Seoul and Seattle, the freighter Hansa Carrier met a sudden storm and, as freighters often do, lost some of the cargo lashed high atop her deck.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,596,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible