dismiss

Lankhmar Volume 4: Swords Against Wizardry…

Lankhmar Volume 4: Swords Against Wizardry (Lankhmar) (original 1968; edition 2007)

by Fritz Leiber

FANTASY THE FOURTH VOLUME IN IBOOKS' REISSUES OF CLASSIC FANTASIES BY SCIENCE FICTION WRITERS OF AMERICA GRAND MASTER FRITZ LEIBER! With Swords Against Wizardry, the fourth installment of the Lankhmar series, the story unveils behind the curtain in the Witch's Tent. Fafhrd and Gray Mouser are there to consult a sorceress who holds the secret to their escape but when would they ever need to escape? Would they need this knowledge when they journey to Stardock? Where is there to escape up there? No doubt the icy seduction of "the cruel one, " with her greed for both gore and graciousness, could offer them several ways out. Their luck has been good so far; one way out should work. Their luck continues as thieves. They are the best thieves in Lankhmar until better positions arise: The Lords of Quarmall. Gray Mouser and Fafhrd steal a kingdom within a hill and declare themselves Lords.… (more)
Member:dharding
Title:Lankhmar Volume 4: Swords Against Wizardry (Lankhmar)
Authors:Fritz Leiber
Info:Dark Horse (2007), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:ebook

Swords Against Wizardry by Fritz Leiber (1968)

English (15)  Polish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (18)
Four classic novellas of the dauntless duo in and about Lankhmar. the boys deal with local politics, In the Witch's Tent" (1968) and "The Lords of Quarmall" (1964). With mysticism in"Stardock" (1965), and personal crisis in "The Two Best Thieves in Lankhmar" (1968). ( )
  DinadansFriend | Aug 20, 2019 |
This volume contains two main adventures, each preceded by a briefer sort of prologue or linking story. In "Stardock," our two antiheroes embark on an expedition up an intimidating and dangerous mountain peak in search of rumored treasure. It is as arduous a read as a climb. In "The Lords of Quarmall," they become pawns (separately and unbeknownst to the other) in an ongoing duel between two hateful brothers who each hope to succeed their father as ruler. This, too, was a bit tough to get through, possibly because it spends more time with the ridiculous siblings than Fafhrd and Mouser. Both of the longer tales also felt a bit longer than they needed to be. The opening vignette is fun, and I very much enjoyed "The Two Best Thieves in Lankhmar," in which the two attempt to unload the odd rewards they acquired from scaling Stardock, but I just didn't enjoy this overall as much as the previous collections I've read. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
I thought this was an underwhelming entry in the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser saga. It's an interesting conceit - first climbing a tall mountain near Fafhrd's homeland, and then descending into a war fought in an underground kingdom - but the stories didn't grab my attention like earlier entries. I still appreciate his approach to S&S, and I'm hoping I'll enjoy the next volume. ( )
  wjohnston | Apr 15, 2016 |
This set of stories was good, but I was a little let down on the greatest thieves. I didn't think the ending was consistent with the characters. Fafhrd and Mouser are still an excellent mix of sword & sorcery, humor, and good writing. If you like the others, continue reading. If you haven't read them yet, what are you waiting for? ( )
  wvlibrarydude | Sep 6, 2015 |
A really cool novel about the heroes embarking in a quest based on a riddled message, that later on transforms into a very different novel when the two of them part ways and go underground. The difference in textures and situations makes it a very entertaining mountain and cavern novel. ( )
  gedece | Jul 27, 2015 |

Fritz Leiberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jeff JonesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojtekCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ce livre est dédié à Harry Otto Fischer qui fut le premier à explorer quarmall et qui, sur ce royaume souterrain, écrivit dix mille mots qui sont encore ici, dans ce récit, inchangés.
Additionnellement, la deuxième nouvelle, Le quai des étoiles est dédié à deux alpinistes audacieux : Poul Andreson et Paul Turner.
F.L.
La vieille sorcière se pencha sur le brasier dont les volutes de fumée grise se mêlaient à ses mèches noires tombant en désordre.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,807,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible