Arzachel [sound recording] by Arzachel

Arzachel [sound recording]

by Arzachel

115,818,516 (3.5)None
Recently added bypantufla
funk (1) mp3 (1) music (1) psychedelic (1) rock (1) UK (1)

Product Details

* Audio CD (January 12, 1996)
* Label: Drop Out Records
* Catalog Number: 1983
* ASIN: B000000B4B
* Average Customer Review: based on 5 reviews. (Write a review.)
* Amazon.com Sales Rank: #342,938 in Music (See Top Sellers in Music)
Yesterday: #342,557 in Music

Listen to Samples
To hear a song sample, click on "Listen" by that sample. Visit our audio help page for more information.
Windows Media RealOne Player
5. Clean Innocent Fun Listen Listen
6. Metempsychosis Listen Listen
Editorial Reviews
Product Description
Arzachel Were: Steve Hillage,dave Stewart,clive Brooks &mont Campbell.a Legendary Psychedelicrarity & the Only UK Album on the Us Roulette Label.
Tag this product (What's this?)

Your tags: Add your first tag
Customer Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
Search Customer Reviews

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
And I Was Lying In The Grass...By A River, December 11, 2004
Reviewer: Jack B. Nimble (Phila., PA) - See all my reviews
I'm still waiting to get an original 1970 US pressing on Roulette Records. I believe the original UK version was released by Decca Records in 69' and goes for thousands of $$$ (if you can find a copy)! I purchased the Drop Out CD reissue in the mid 90's and the sound quality was excellent enough (considering the source) to keep me satisfied. Everything is drenched in reverb! I love the vocals, very Arthur Brown-ish. I get the chills when I hear the first couple notes of "Clean Innocent Fun" and the organ begins, even though it was played through a guitar amp and not a leslie. Excellent raw British prog/psych. "Garden Of Earthly Delights" is a great tune that could fit right in with the psychedelic sounds of 67'. "Metempsychosis" is a long spacey jam that reminds me of Pink Floyd just a year earlier. I just wish the drums were recorded in one channel on this album giving it that wonderful stereo separation we all know and love. 5 stars for Uriel's project here! The EGG LP which was released in 1970 (post-Arzachel) is also highly recommended!

Was this review helpful to you? YesNo (Report this)

0 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
The music that really sounds blue., February 15, 2004
Reviewer: John Hea (Québec, Québec, Canada) - See all my reviews
I've known this album for about a year, I'd say. I have this friend who has knowledge on, it seems, every band of the world. One day I heard "Clean Innocent Fun" and I immediately borrowed the cd. I don't know how I managed to do it, but I eventually found it in stores and now can enjoy it anytime I want. Enough with the touching story now.

I consider this album to be a pretty good one, especially considering it was made in one day after Arzachel had won a contest (or so I read). It is original and creative and you can feel the pleasure the musicians are having (or so it seems).
There are two deceiving points. First, it is clear that they were not virtuosi at the time (guitar solos could be more fluid in order to naturally come out of the songs, instead of being forced out), but it is also clear that they're trying real hard to play at the best of their skills. It also lacks of a certain musical unity. What I mean is that sometimes, you feel like the keyboardist is doing is things separately from the guitarist and vice versa (like in the long solo in Clean Innocent Fun, for instance).
However, it remains an excellent debut and a good effort at breaking through conventions to create a unique sound (that somehow sounds blue like the cover!). In addition to that, you get to read fake biographies

John Hea's best songs : Queen St. Gang, Clean Innocent Fun. ( )
  pantufla | Feb 26, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,785,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible