Gravity by Tess Gerritsen

Gravity (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Tess Gerritsen

An organism harmless on earth where it is subject to gravity terrorizes a research station in space. Scientists die violently and from their insides spill creatures that are part human, part frog and part mouse. A medical thriller by the author of Bloodstream.
Member:Laura_lita
Title:Gravity
Authors:Tess Gerritsen
Info:London : HarperCollins, 2000.
Collections:Wishlist

Gravity by Tess Gerritsen (1999)

English (30)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (35)
Outstanding and eminently readable, ‘Gravity’ is part medical thriller, part science fiction, and all un-put-downable.

When a lab experiment sent to the International Space Station for study under microgravity conditions turns deadly, it’s up to the station crew to try to stay alive and to NASA’s ground crew to figure out how to provide aid and whether to bring them home and risk contaminating Earth with a horrifying plague. Woven through this are the complex relationships between several of the main characters and, ultimately, between a civilian space exploration program and a military structure whose goals are often very different.

Gerritson never cuts back on the suspense and keeps various countdown clocks ticking as the story unspools. Descriptions of the agonizing and lethal attacks on the various ISS crew members are not for the faint of heart. This one will keep you up until the last page is turned … and perhaps for a while beyond that. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Aug 30, 2021 |
This is nothing like any of Tess Gerristsen other books and is one of her best. She made me feel like I was being dragged through a nightmare and was so reminiscent of how I felt reading The Andromeda Strain. The pace gradually picks up and throughly entrances ones as you are swallowed up by her story telling abilities. ( )
  can44okie | Aug 28, 2020 |
One can't hold her americanism against Tess Gerritsen, but this is very, very American: I don't think it actually is a screenplay or the novelisation of a made-for-tv-movie, but that's how it reads. Broad-stroke characterisation, snappy, acronym-laden dialogue, racy plot. I found it rather tedious at first, but when I stopped trying so hard, I found it hummed along nicely.

I would call the graphic events described in this thriller more horrific (and in places disgusting) than thrilling, but then I'm not a surgeon, and I'm prepared to admit to being squeamish even among laymen.

You will turn the pages, but in the end you might wonder why you bothered. ( )
  jtck121166 | Jun 9, 2020 |
Before reading this, I had few expectations. Just knowing that the author writes popular police procedurals doesn't always mean that other genres are a cinch to write. So I had to back off and just let the tale tell itself.

I let myself flow into the story as it began heavily on the characterization and it slowly turned into a medical thriller just happening to take place in space. [b:The Andromeda Strain|7670|The Andromeda Strain|Michael Crichton|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388889327s/7670.jpg|997271]? Hmmm. But then the modern storytelling style got me hooked. No one behaved unreasonably. Smart, strong characters. Rising tension... and then somewhere in the middle, I found myself thrilling to the horror of it. :)

There's plenty of cool biology and medical thriller stuff, but you know what I found most interesting? It had cool echoes of [b:Starfish|66479|Starfish (Rifters, #1)|Peter Watts|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388530597s/66479.jpg|2489444]. It even reminded me a bit of that movie, Life. Or conjure in your mind any rampant story of contagion, and you've got a great idea about where this novel is headed.

I have very few complaints. I had a great time throughout. But if I should feel the need to complain about anything... it's the end. I'm not sure I buy it.

But other than that, I think I had a lot more fun here than I thought I would. :) Tess really can write SF thrillers. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Hi, can someone help me out on what they found buried in Kenichi's spine when they did the autopsy at the military biohazard facility? It reads like they had an example of what the organism was morphing into eventually. Anybody else get this impression? This seems one of those annoying loose ends. ( )
  Coldwall | Dec 29, 2018 |
Er beweegt iets, onder zijn huid...
To the men and women who
have made spaceflight a reality.
Mankind's greatest achievements
are launched on dreams.
He was gliding on the edge of the abyss.

Dr Emma Watson, a brilliant research physician, has been training for the mission of a lifetime: to study living organisms in space. Jack McCallum, Emma's estranged husband, has shared her dream of space travel, but a medical condition has grounded him. Now he must watch from the sidelines! The mission aboard the space station turns into a nightmare when a culture of single-celled organisms begins to regenerate out of control -- and infects the crew with agonising and deadly results. Emma struggles to contain the deadly virus, while back home Jack and NASA work against the clock to bring her home. But there will be no rescue, as the astronauts are left stranded in orbit where they are dying one by one!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,467,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible