What Makes a Child Lucky: A Novel

by Gioia Timpanelli

1431,136,817 (3.38)None
In a timeless moment in rural Sicily, a boy experiences the brutal killing of his best friend and is kidnapped by the murderers. No child should have to know evil so intimately, and yet once he does, what will save him?His salvation lies in the cycles of the seasons, the sturdy earth and its gifts of lentils and wild asparagus in a time of starvation, the animal sense that enables one to anticipate the whims and impulses of others, and, most important, familiarity with the Ancient Grandmother, who knows the entire play of good and evil. If he can trust her--the gang's cook, a fierce woman of great practical wisdom and humanity--he will escape the grip of perpetual violence. Or so we learn from the beguiling old couple who narrate this story.Uniting the most ancient forms of storytelling with a modern sensibility, Gioia Timpanelli's work is a national treasure--a joy to read, clear and resonant and satisfying.… (more)

Met author and read this book for her class at Open Center in June.
  juanakennedy | Sep 29, 2009 |
This short novel, just 127 pages, was a trip in time and place for me. Set in the wild and rural areas of Sicily, it was reminiscent of my visits to my family's ancestral village in the mountains of Southeastern Sicily. The main character, the young boy Joseph, is the narrator. Through his eyes and lips we are given a glimpse of a poor, hungry Sicily where people survive by keeping their eyes open and the mouths shut. Despite his circumstances he is able to be happy and to survive. I think the author captured the secretive caution that flows in the veins of Sicilians. ( )
  SignoraEdie | Mar 9, 2009 |
simplier than I thought, but evocative writing nonetheless ( )
  spetrie1 | Jan 13, 2009 |

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,577,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible