dismiss

Signature in the cell : DNA and the evidence…

Signature in the cell : DNA and the evidence for intelligent design (edition 2009)

by Stephen C. Meyer

"This book attempts to make a comprehensive, interdisciplinary case for a new view of the origin of life"--Prologue.
Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:Signature in the cell : DNA and the evidence for intelligent design
Authors:Stephen C. Meyer
Info:New York : HarperOne, c2009.
Tags:Religion, Science

Signature in the Cell: DNA and the Evidence for Intelligent Design by Stephen C. Meyer

Very well written and thorough presentation of ID from a scientific/philosophical perspective. Makes an excellent case for Iad being scientific. I am still baffled by opponents who say it is not science, but I believe it is out of place of ignorance and fear that it truly does identify some of the shortcomings of materialist philosophy. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
This is a very informative book that I really enjoyed. The only downfall is that if you are familiar with scientific concepts and the history surrounding them, the book may be a bit boring in certain sections. ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
Meyer argues for intelligent design based on the nature of DNA as information. He shows why other theories (chance, necessity) fail to account for the specified information in DNA. He demonstrates how the theory of Intelligent Design best explains the presence of information: Anywhere else we find information -- software, writing, music -- we assume a mind has produced it. He also shows why the theory of Intelligent Design is not "religion disguised as science" or "dead science."

At points this is a highly technical (and long) book. It tested whatever is left in my mind of two years as a biology major in college. At the same time it is also readable and fascinating, and even if you are unable to follow the ins and outs of the biochemistry, you are still able to grasp the sense of the argument. Meyer is obviously brilliant not just in the science of DNA, but in logic and reasoning as well.

I highly recommend it for anyone with an interest in science and origin-of-life questions. Whether you agree with him or not, you will have to admit he has done his homework and presents his case in a knowledgeable and persuasive way. ( )
1 vote Bibliophilus | Mar 22, 2013 |
Best summary available of argumentation for the involvement of an intelligent agent in evolution based upon the nature of cellular information. ( )
  Jotto | Sep 26, 2009 |
For Elaine, Once and Future Companion
When James Watson and Francis Crick elucidated the structure of DNA in 1953, they solved one mystery, but created another.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,807,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible