Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank…

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

by Frank Miller (Writer/Penciller), John Costanza (Letterer), Klaus Janson (Inker), Lynn Varley (Colourist)

Series: The Dark Knight (1), Batman

English (84)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (89)
Couldn't get into this. I used to really enjoy comics as a teenager, but this didn't do anything for me. I picked up the ebook version on sale for $5 since I like Batman and the plot summary seemed interesting. Unfortunately, about a third of the way through it I'd had enough. The artwork is thoroughly unimpressive, and the story just didn't flow very well, IMO. ( )
  Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |
One of the greatest series ever written for the comics. Reading it now some of the story points feel a bit dated, the Regan 80s, etc, but in context it's just fantastic. If you are a huge Superman fan this one might get you a little crazy. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 16, 2018 |
I don't get Frank Miller. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
Read this back in 1985/1986 when it was still a mini-series, and it still blows me away. It's a powerful piece, despite the political tack that weighs it down slightly. Well worth the read (though, alas, the sequel done years later is NOT worth the waste of trees). ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
Has to be the best graphic novel I've read. Great use of juxtaposition. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
"The stories are convoluted, difficult to follow and crammed with far too much text. The drawings offer a grotesquely muscle-bound Batman and Superman, not the lovable champions of old.... If this book is meant for kids, I doubt that they will be pleased. If it is aimed at adults, they are not the sort I want to drink with."

Miller, FrankWriter/Pencillerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Costanza, JohnLetterermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Janson, KlausInkermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Varley, LynnColouristmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, AlanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Will Jungkuntz 1955 - 1985
I've got the home stretch all to myself when the readings stop making sense.
The time has come. You know it in your soul. For I am your soul... you cannot escape me... you are puny, you are small—you are nothing—a hollow shell, a rusty trap that cannot hold me—smoldering, I burn you—burning you, I flare, hot and bright and fierce and beautiful—you cannot stop me—not with wine or vows or the weight of age—you cannot stop me but still you try—still you run—you try to drown me out... but your voice is weak...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 156389341X, Hardcover)

If any comic has a claim to have truly reinvigorated the genre, then The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller--known also for his excellent Sin City series and his superb rendering of the blind superhero Daredevil--is probably the top contender. Batman represented all that was wrong in comics and Miller set himself a tough task taking on the camp crusader and turning this laughable, innocuous children's cartoon character into a hero for our times. The great Alan Moore (V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing, the arguably peerless Watchmen) argued that only someone of Miller's stature could have done this. Batman is a character known well beyond the confines of the comic world (as are his retinue) and so reinventing him, while keeping his limiting core essentials intact, was a huge task.

Miller went far beyond the call of duty. The Dark Knight is a success on every level. Firstly it does keep the core elements of the Batman myth intact, with Robin, Alfred the butler, Commissioner Gordon, and the old roster of villains, present yet brilliantly subverted. Secondly the artwork is fantastic--detailed, sometimes claustrophobic, psychotic. Lastly it's a great story: Gotham City is a hell on earth, street gangs roam but there are no heroes. Decay is ubiquitous. Where is a hero to save Gotham? It is 10 years since the last recorded sighting of the Batman. And things have got worse than ever. Bruce Wayne is close to being a broken man but something is keeping him sane: the need to see change and the belief that he can orchestrate some of that change. Batman is back. The Dark Knight has returned. Awesome. --Mark Thwaite

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:42 -0400)

After ten years away from the public eye, a wave of violence in Gotham City brings Batman back as a vigilante.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,627,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible