A Spring Affair (The Four Seasons Book 1) by…

A Spring Affair (The Four Seasons Book 1) (edition 2009)

by Milly Johnson (Author)

When Lou Winter reads a magazine article about clearing clutter she realises it will change her life. An earnest spring clean leads to hiring skips to contain copious amounts of dumped junk. Lou's disgruntled husband wonders why clearing cupboards takes priority over making breakfast. The truth is, as Lou lets go of rubbish, light and air gets into those painful, closed-up places at the centre of her heart; the love waiting for a baby she'd never have, the empty space her best friend Deb once occupied, and the gaping wound left by her husband's affair. Even Tom Broom, the man who delivers her skips, grows concerned about his sweetest customer. But Lou is a woman on a mission, and doesn't know where it will end...… (more)
Member:KShannahan
Title:A Spring Affair (The Four Seasons Book 1)
Authors:Milly Johnson (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster UK (2009), Edition: UK ed., 496 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

A Spring Affair by Milly Johnson

I have a shelf full of Johnson's books courtesy of my sister and her book habit, and this is the second of Johnson's books I have read. I did enjoy it, and would like to point out that I read a lot of this over a 4 hr road trip!

Lou is a dowtrodden wife, and Phil is a manipulative b**tard of a husband; Deb is the best friend and Tom is the hunky skip man! I could see what was going to happen, but it did take a while, but this is not a complaint by any means. It made a change to read a book where a mentally abused woman - or indeed any woman - slowly wakes up and changes her life for the better. Lou's journey is very well written, and does not shy away from the difficult decisions she makes. It was also interesting to read the motives from Phil's point of view too - there must be hundreds of men across the country who think like this and think that treating women in this manipulative way is acceptable.

I've never had such a revalatory experience with clutter clearing, but then I am in a happy relationship I suppose. This is chick lit, but not light and fluffy like some, and there is definite depth in the characters, with clear and well explained motivations. ( )
  peelap | Feb 3, 2019 |
A magazine article about clearing clutter changes Lou Winter's life. What begins with a drawer in her kitchen, soon leads to a full house clear out and every skip that is filled lightens the load on her shoulders brought about by years of psychological abuse by her husband. Tom Broom, the skip delivery man shows her kindness, and as Lou becomes more empowered she decides to contact her old friend, the one who told her about her husband's affair three years ago. She hasn't spoken to Deb since her husband forced her to choose between the two of them and discard her dream of the two friends owning a cafe together. Well written and empowering. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Dec 25, 2016 |
it was the lightest and best written I have made my way through of her books. I will progress with more and enjoyed this but taking a break from her simple style for a while ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 29, 2016 |
Excellent. Good characterisation. Funny. ( )
  dieseltaylor | Aug 23, 2011 |
Sometimes the cosmos goes to a lot of trouble to help shift a life from its rut.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,596,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible