Let the Right One In by John Ajvide…

Let the Right One In (original 2004; edition 2013)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist (Author)

4,3732291,671 (4.01)1 / 260
Twelve-year-old Oskar is obsessed by the murder that's taken place in his neighborhood. Then he meets the new girl from next door. She's a bit weird, though. And she only comes out at night--Publisher's description.
Member:DeboraNunes
Title:Let the Right One In
Authors:John Ajvide Lindqvist (Author)
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read, Read but unowned, BDI, 2015
Tags:Sweden, vampires, horror

Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2004)

English (214)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Danish (2)  French (2)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (231)
While I did enjoy the book, it seemed as though it was almost 500 pages of buildup to a climax that never really happened. Also, I picked up this book under the impression that it was an incredibly scary horror novel, and I was pretty disappointing. However, that may just be personal preference. I did enjoy the psychological aspect of it though. ( )
  Raven-Walker | Aug 23, 2019 |
2018 Read Harder #19 - Read a book of genre fiction in traslation ( )
  Muhrrynn | Jul 11, 2019 |
I absolutely love this book. This is vampires done right. Not some glittering, emo pretty boy. This is about a damned soul whom is forced to live off the lives of others. Coincidentally, there is still more of a love story here than you will find in any Twilight book. The atmosphere is amazing, and it's truly touching to see how bot Oskar and Eli change each other's lives. A must read. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
When I bought this book at the book store, the clerk told me that the movie was much better. I have seen the American movie version of this book, and I liked the book more. The movie was good, but with a novel you are able to get much more insight into the character's motives and background stories.

The bullies at Oskar's school were horrifyingly cruel, seemingly psychopathic. I like to think that this kind of bullying doesn't go on anymore, but I am probably being naive. I was rooting for Oskar and Eli to take revenge on them, even though I knew what their revenge would entail.

The story skipped around from character to character. This was no problem for most of the book. But by the climax of the story, the viewpoint was changing every couple of paragraphs, and I wished that it would stop jumping around so much. Besides the main characters, Eli, Oskar and Hakan, there were a number of other characters that I didn't care about so much. Their stories got in the way of what I felt was the main story.

One difference I noticed from the movie, is in the book Hakan has a much bigger part to play. And he is much more creepy and disturbed than I realized from the movie. Eli also has some secrets that weren't clear in the movie.

Overall, I enjoyed this book very much. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a different take on the vampire story.

July 3, 2012 I have seen the Swedish version of the movie now. Much more faithful to the book than the American movie. Still, I enjoyed the book more. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Wow. That was great. I saw the Swedish movie several years ago, loved it, and heard it followed the book closely, so I wasn't in a hurry to read the book. So glad I did. Another porch book on a beautiful summer day.

The movie does follow the book quite closely. I found myself anticipating scenes from the movie, knowing what was coming, seeing the little quirks that were left out and why. It was also great having the wonderful back stories of the many characters that wander in and out of the story. There is an entire subplot left out and I understand why it was.

In the end this is a grimy, working class coming of age fairy tale. Instead of glass slippers and pumpkin coaches it is populated with monsters, pedophiles and alcoholics. My heart broke for Oskar and Eli.

I felt the most connected to Virginia though. She doesn't drive the story, but she is a catalyst for change. She is the only adult in the middle everything. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
If you have time over, read this book. I will however not recommend that you sell your granny to be able to afford it, unless you really dislike your granny, of course.
added by camillahoel | editRead And Find Out, jh (Sep 7, 2009)

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Segerberg, EbbaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mia, My Mia
Till Mia, min Mia.
The Location
Blackeberg
It makes you think of coconut-frosted cookies, maybe drugs. 'A respectable life.' You think subway station, suburb. Probably nothing else comes to mind. People must live there, just like they do in other places. That was why it was built, after all, so that people would have somewhere to live.
Blackberg.

Man tänker kanske kokosbollar, tänker kanske knark. »Ett anständigt liv.« Tänker tunnelbanestation, förort. Sedan tänker man inte så mycket mer. Bor väl folk där, som på andra platser. Det var ju därför det byggdes; för att folk skulle ha någonstans att bo.
The earth shall drink his blood.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John Ajvide Lindqvist's book Let the Right One In was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,170,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible