Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Introducing Nietzsche by Laurence Gane

Introducing Nietzsche (original 1997; edition 2001)

by Laurence Gane

Member:melvillean
Title:Introducing Nietzsche
Authors:Laurence Gane
Info:Totem Books (2001), Edition: Second Edition, Paperback, 176 pages

Introducing Nietzsche by Laurence Gane (1997)

A fairly easy to follow guide as philosophy goes. Nietzsche of course the focus on this one. As an ebook I found the graphics a bit hard to follow especially on a Kindle ereader. On a tablet maybe not as much an issue.

The book flows through the evolution of Nietzsche's philosophical principles up to his ultimate demise, and exams what he was trying to say and put some context into what it all means for us in today's world. Such is the magical mystical world of philosophy. ( )
  knightlight777 | Nov 5, 2018 |
Nietzsche, the ultimate 'thinking man'. sure he was crazy and dark but he lived his life to think and to the utmost caliber. The introducing series is always a great way to see a broad perspective on a great thinker and I always enjoy such books.

Things Nietzsche said...

in general he believed:

"All writing is useless that does not contain a stimulus to activity."

on Dionysian loverfools who are only after hedonism and pleasures:

"music and intoxication are the means of mystical collective ecstasy for this trance like condition briefly protects us from our sense of isolation and the transitory nature of human life, from which our intuition wont allow us to escape."

Nietzsche introduced this grandiose ideas to the world as if they were common sense, which well...nowadays they are but back then this was insane stuff. I have totally experienced that feeling at concerts surrounded by people who return again again for that mystical collective ecstasy that is so temporary and does "seek a path back to the womb of being an escape from the prison of self."

another excellent fact about Nietzsche is how he was against any system for: "systemizers are to be avoided; the well to a system is a lack of integrity."

on the problem with 'intellects' and why everyone despises them:

"The free spirit is brought into disrepute chiefly by scholars who miss their thoroughness and ant-like industry in his art of regarding things."

and lastly on bad writers:
"most thinkers write badly because they communicate not only their thoughts but also the thinking of them. so use words with care and passion - write with blood. Only the most acute reader will grasp the meaning..."

and I learned that all from this amazing book with excellent graphics by Piero. ( )
1 vote TakeItOrLeaveIt | Jun 25, 2009 |
Why do you seek knowledge? For what purpose? Do you embrace the void rather then be void of purpose? Are you open to a Christianity that accepts the valid criticisms of Marx, Freud, Nietzsche, Jung, Durkheim etc. This is the book to start that discussion. ( )
  ablueidol | Nov 5, 2006 |

Laurence Ganeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Appignanesi, Richardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Chan, Kittymain authorall editionsconfirmed
The Introducing XYZ series were first published as XYX for Beginners. They are essentially the same work.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 184046075X, Paperback)

Here is a book that reflects the diversity of this great 19th century thinker.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Shows Nietzsche as a fearless critic of vanity and bad faith, the philosopher whom Freud believed had greater self-knowledge than anyone he had ever read.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible