Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta…

Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta 1325-1354 (original 2001; edition 2004)

by James Rumford (Author)

An introduction to the journeys of the little-known 14th century Muslim figure, Ibn Battuta. He traveled for 29 years from Morocco to China, from the steppes of Russia to the shores of Tanzania, 75,000 miles in all.
Member:Jmason21
Title:Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta 1325-1354
Authors:James Rumford (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2004), Edition: Reprint, 40 pages
Rating:*****

Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta, 1325-1354 by James Rumford (2001)

Landfalls: On the Edge of Islam with Ibn Battutah by Tim Mackintosh-Smith (PuddinTame)
    PuddinTame: An Arabic scholar and travel writer follows the journeys of Ibn Battuta. Mackintosh-Smith wrote three books on Battuta's travels.
    The Hall of a Thousand Columns: Hindustan to Malabar with Ibn Battutah by Tim Mackintosh-Smith (PuddinTame)
    PuddinTame: An Arabic scholar and travel writers traces part of the route of Ibn Battuta. The author has three books on Battuta's travels.
    Travels with a Tangerine : A Journey in the Footnotes of Ibn Battutah by Tim Mackintosh-Smith (PuddinTame)
    PuddinTame: A modern Arabic scholar and travel writer traces the path of Ibn Battuta from Morocco to Turkey. Mackintosh-Smith wrote three books in all about Ibn Battuta's travels.
    Ibn Battuta: Travels in Asia and Africa 1325-1354 by Ibn Battuta (PuddinTame)
    PuddinTame: A translation of the original work
    The Travels of Benjamin of Tudela: Through Three Continents in the Twelfth Century by Uri Shulevitz (raizel)
    raizel: Another man who traveled to some of the same places (I think) about two hundred years earlier.

Author/illustrator James Rumford, whose many wonderful picture-book biographies include From the Good Mountain: How Gutenberg Changed the World and Sequoyah: The Cherokee Man Who Gave His People Writing, turns here to the story of the fabulous journey of Ibn Battuta, the famed Moroccan traveler who covered over 75,000 miles during the course of his 14th-century wanderings. Setting out from his home he travelled across northern Africa, through Egypt and into the Levant. From Jerusalem he went south to Mecca, and from there to Baghdad and then Isfahan (in Persia). He traveled through Central Asia, along the silk road, spent time in India, and then sailed to the Maldives, Sri Lanka and modern-day Bangladesh. His voyages took him to Sumatra, and eventually to China, where he reached Cambaluc (Beijing). Eventually, after thirty years of wandering, he headed for home, where his incredible adventures were set down in writing...

Although long familiar with Italian explorer Marco Polo, whose twelfth-century travels from Europe to China did much to open up Europe to trade with Asia, I was unfamiliar with the figure of Ibn Battuta before picking up Rumford's book. I am so glad to have that rectified, as I found Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta, 1325-1354 both informative and beautiful. The text is fairly simple, giving an outline of its main figure's adventures, along with quotations in Arabic and Chinese, from various sources, including Ibn Battuta's own narrative. The artwork is lovely, featuring deeply colored pages with panels of text and gorgeous paintings. Rumford also makes use of Arabic maps of the period, and Arabic calligraphy, resulting in a beautiful book! I did have one moment of doubt, when Rumford depicted Ibn Battuta's father wearing eyeglasses, but after digging around and learning that eyeglasses are attested to as early as 1290, in northern Italy, it is possible they made their way to Morocco by the early 1300s, when Ibn Battuta was a boy. There is an afterword here giving more information about Ibn Battuta, the people and places he encountered, and a map of his travels. I do wish a list of further reading had been included, but I guess I can track down more information myself. To start with, I'll be adding the full adult narrative of Ibn Battuta's travels to my to-read shelf, as they are fascinating! Recommended to young biography and history lovers, and to picture-book readers looking for stories about explorers. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Sep 24, 2020 |
910.92
  OakGrove-KFA | Mar 28, 2020 |
This book is about a man named Ibn Battuta who went on a journey in search of gold and jewels but at the end of his travels he did not return with gold or jewels but something much more valuable. ( )
  jasminenesbitt1 | Mar 6, 2018 |
Young classrooms are awash with books documenting renowned explorers and for good reason. Kids absolutely eat them up. There's something innate, and universal, about looking to a distant horizon and thinking "what if?" Ibn Battuta's life, or at least 35 years of it, were spent answering that question. In Traveling Man, James Rumford gives life to his journey with brilliant watercolors and captivating first person narrative. The reader is transported into the mind of this daring traveler and the first person is an excellent stylistic choice. Who among us hasn't dreamed of seeing ourselves in Columbus's shoes? But those shoes would still be too gaudy, too greedy, for Battuta, and that's what i like the most about his story. It's founded in dreams of discovery, of wistful and youthful idealism. He didn't want to be rich, and he wasn't chasing spices. He was chasing a horizon. What valuable lessons young readers might gain from his story. ( )
  Jmason21 | Mar 1, 2018 |
I LOVED this book! I made my son (9) start reading it. I couldn't get it back from him! As a history, this suffers only from Ibn Battuta's own propensity to exaggerate, which honestly is the marque of any GOOD storyteller. One example is his description of the Chinese Junks that were "as big as palaces." These have never been corroborated and my own knowledge of hull harmonics and ship construction lead me to believe these vessels could not have existed in the proportions he describes.
But, the STORIES, even if exaggerated serve as the spark to fan the flames of curiosity in a young reader to go and find out more about these wondrous things Ibn Battuta describes in his narrative. Therefore, I can easily forgive a little embellishment here and there in such an important story. Plus, the gorgeous pictures and historically accurate Arab maps are not to be missed. The book serves its purpose which is to inform the reader about Ibn Battuta's extraordinary adventure and illustrate the importance of strong will and determination ( )
  jcbarr | Feb 7, 2018 |
For my mother
In the days when when the earth was flat and Jerusalem was the center of the world, there was a boy named Ibn Battuta.

Ibn Battuta, a traveler of the 14th Century, left behind an account of his incredible journey from Morocco to China, and from Russia to Tanzania. This beautifully illustrated biography should engage younger readers as they hear of his adventures and examine historic maps and Arabic calligraphy.
*****************************************

James Rumford has long been an admirer of Islamic mapmaking.  The story of Ibn Battuta's travels has given him the opportunity to combine this love with another, Arabic calligraphy, which he studied from a master while in Afghanistan many years ago.  [from the jacket]

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,209,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible