The Big Bad Wolf (2003)

by James Patterson

Series: Alex Cross (9)

Things look full of promise for Alex Cross. His new job with the FBI is prestigious and exciting. But no sooner has he gone in for orientation, when all hell breaks loose. An all-women team of kidnappers has been snatching successful, upstanding men and women right before their families' eyes -- possibly to sell them into slavery. Alex's knowledge of the D.C. streets, together with is unique insights into criminal psychology, make this mind bending case one that only he can solve -- if he can just get his colleagues to set aside their staid and outdated methods. With unexpected twists and whiplash surprises, this is another brilliantly irresistible audio program from America's bestselling thriller writer.… (more)

English (49)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (53)
the novel is beautiful ( )
  Ibrahim_Obalola | Apr 15, 2021 |
3.5* I didn't enjoy this Alex Cross book as much as some of the previous ones. When the book started, I almost felt like the writing was a little choppy and that it wasn't flowing very well. I'm so far enjoying Alex's move to the FBI and I also enjoyed the crazy twisted plot which involved the Russian Mafia.

However, there were so many different bad guys and victims that at times it was a little difficult to keep them all straight (especially since Patterson likes to write some chapters through the victims' and bad guys' point of view). Overall though, this was a quick and easy read which was just what I needed. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Excellent, best one yet. This is the first book featuring Alex as an FBI agent. It is more credible than him being a local D.C. cop and flying all over the country fighting special cases. The plot is well written, well driven and I can see no flaws. I am more interested in the cases than Alex's personal life, but I am enjoying the storyline with Alex, Christine Johnson and little Alex.
I can not wait to see how the next book unfolds! ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
What a waste of time. Don't ask me why I persevered and didn't chuck it in the corner earlier...I thought there will be something that would redeem this book, but alas, it was disappointingly bad.
And don't get me started on the "american model, Claudia Schiffer".
I think this is my first and last Patterson. Nevermind, plenty more authors worth reading out there. ( )
  MissYowlYY | Jun 12, 2020 |
I previously read this 6 years ago and wasn't too taken with it, and after re-reading it now I'm basically in the same boat with extra criticisms.

For example, Alex Cross's 14 year old porsche in Four Blind Mice was classified as 'his hold black porsche' now in The Big Bad Wolf which is a direct continuation from the same, which would make the car still 14 years old, or perhaps 15, its now suddenly an 'ancient black porsche'. Seems a little exaggerated there, does Patterson not realise not everyone buys a new car every 5 years? (In Along Came A Spider, Kiss The Girls when it was 8 years old it was still being called his 'old black porsche' as opposed to just a porsche).

That aside, towards the latter half of the novel, they finally have who they believe is the criminal overlord of the Russian Mafiya within their grasp at gunpoint, surrounded by agents. A man who has evaded the CIA, the FBI, local police coast to coast, in other words, very much at the top of the wanted list, but guess what? There's a small fire in a cupboard so everyone runs away leaving the guy to run off an successfully escape. What? Then, after making a successful escape, the guy gets himself cornered and just gives up revealing a plot point which rendered all of the above utterly pointless.

The twists and turns in this novel also very much gave deja vu of Roses Are Red where is more or less follows the path of the Mastermind investigation's plot only with different characters and scenes, the net result being the same - the evidence keeps pointing to people who aren't the one they're after.

I previously said that it was a reasonable entertainer with enough mystery & tension to keep you interested, a decent enough plot however I just found it wasn't particularly enthralling and that it past the time, but I didn't really feel drawn into the story at all. That's still how I feel.

I'll probably check out the following novel simply as The Weasel returns, but if that's above the same level of formulaic writing I'll likely abandon the series and move on. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Jul 25, 2019 |
It’s lucky that Cross’s reputation precedes him, because his fond creator doesn’t give him much to do here but chase suspects identified by obliging tipsters and worry about his family (Alex Jr.’s mother, alarmed at Cross’s dangerous job, is suing for custody) while the Wolf and his cronies—Sterling, Mr. Potter, the Art Director, Sphinx, and the Marvel—kidnap more dishy women (and the occasional gay man) and kill everybody who gets in their way, and quite a few poor souls who don’t.
added by booklover3258 | editKirkus Reviews (May 20, 2010)

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

There was an improbable murder story told about the Wolf that had made its way into police lore and then spread quickly from Washington to New York to London and to Moscow.

Hachette Book Group

3 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0446610224, 1586215809, 0316743844

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,392,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible