dismiss

Stone's Fall

by Iain Pears

In this dazzling historical mystery, John Stone, financier and arms dealer, dies falling out of a window at his London home. The quest to uncover the truth behind his death plays out against the backdrop of high-stakes international finance, Europe's first great age of espionage, and the start of the twentieth century's arms race.… (more)
Recently added byRivaton, wuh19, TrilogyLib, Colesa, georgee53, private library, ibinu, jmqrs

English (60)  Dutch (4)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (65)
I am hooked. Just hooked. It is not a compulsive read but it is very compelling. What happened to John Stone and who is he? We know his wife is nutz.... ( )
  leebill | Apr 30, 2020 |
A strange story that moves at a stately pace (and actually goes backward), but the characters and setting were interesting enough to make it all work. ( )
  tombrown | Feb 21, 2020 |
Great book. Very relevant today when "financial" war is very possible. Well-researched, well-written, a gripping tale of what might have happened earlier in the century. Highly recommend it. ( )
  geza.tatrallyay | Apr 10, 2019 |
I've given this book 4 stars because it was well written. I skimmed some of the (to me) less interesting parts but I think other readers may find those parts worth reading. The book was narrated by different characters, none of whom were very likeable. I found Stone's story the most interesting because it tied together all the loose ends of the other narrations . ( )
  scot2 | May 29, 2018 |
Wonderfully detailed first-person narrators who are like characters from Dickens delving into the very dark corners of one man's life - a quest for a character lying underneath the rug of the super wealthy. Definitely not linear, and in fact mostly backwards chronologically which makes for an interesting progression ala _Memento_. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
“Stone’s Fall,” ... gives the reader the expected more-than-500 pages and also what is not expected at all: a female character who might have stepped out of Balzac, along with a view of the belle époque that is neither anachronistic nor censorious. .... In the last third, Pears finds himself somewhat in the situation of the clumsy home improver who, deciding to decorate his front room, finds he has painted himself into a corner.

Admirers of Iain Pears's "An Instance of the Fingerpost" have waited more than 10 years for another lengthy, serpentine thriller bearing the stamp of his erudition in matters historical, artistic and financial. "Stone's Fall" generously rewards their patience.

This sprawling, unconventional, occasionally dazzling novel ends with an unconvincing and unnecessary denouement which serves only to undermine the foundations of the elaborate edifice he has worked so painstakingly to create.
added by geoffmiles | editGuardian, Clare Clark (May 9, 2009)

The assurance and invention with which this novel is written are alike remarkable. Pears manages his complicated structure with a confidence and dexterity possible only to a master of the craft of fiction. ... Better, more profound novels may be published this year, but I shall be surprised if there is one that offers more complete enjoyment.

Iain Pearsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Relph, LiamCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, LucindaAuthor Photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

To my mother
Paris, March 1953
The Church of St.-Germain des Prés, at the start of what was supposed to be spring, was a miserable place, made worse by the drabness of a city still in a state of shock, worse still by the little coffin in front of the altar which was my reason for being there, worse again by the aches and pains of my body as I kneeled.
'Conscious of my failings in so many matters, and wishing to make amends for past ills, I direct that the sum of £250,000 be left to my child, whom I have never previously acknowledged.'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,988,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible