Under The Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures…

by L. A. Meyer

Series: Bloody Jack Adventures (3)

In 1804, fifteen-year-old Jacky Faber heads back to sea where she gains control of a British warship and eventually becomes a privateer.

This is the third installment - with more to come. There's more adventure than historical facts, but the period detail is fun too. Jacky is still sailing the seas and getting into trouble. (July 28, 2006) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I've read all the Bloody Jack books so far as audio books and I'm so glad I have. Katherine Kellgren really makes Jacky come alive! She gets into the characters and it's not just a person reading a book, but an actress playing the part. Not to give away too much, but I cried right along with Jacky when the ship went down. I don't think I would have enjoyed the series nearly as much if I was reading a physical copy of the book. ( )
  sailorfigment | Nov 25, 2018 |
In her third adventure, Mary "Jacky" Faber returns to England, determined to reunite with her dear Jaimy after trying and failing to become a "lady" at finishing school in Boston. Dressed as a boy to gain access to the grounds without an escort, she sees Jaimy with another girl and flees, only to be press-ganged and finds herself involved in the Napoleonic wars, on a ship patrolling the English Channel.

Jacky's over-the-top adventures are fun and light reading. Katherine Kellgren does a phenomenal job narrating the series, from Jacky's first-person account to the various Irish, English, American, and French accents that the series calls for. I've discovered I'm not a huge fan of the adventure genre and would probably rather stick with a straightforward historical fiction rather than second-guessing whether a girl of that time would really ____ (fill in the blank with the latest twist and turn in the story), but it's entertaining when I'm in the right mood. ( )
  bell7 | Jan 27, 2017 |
After Jacky Faber returns to England she attempts to reunite with her beloved Jaimy, but things do not go well - as they seldom do for her. (It's usually her fault, of course, being so impulsive.) She ends up press-ganged into service aboard another Royal Navy Ship, the Wolverine, this time with a wicked captain. Before long she's engaged in privateering (legalized piracy of England's enemies).

There's a lot less mooning over Jaimy in this one (thankfully!), and a lot more cheering for her exploits as things seem to go her way more often. The book also highlights some of England's darker side: press-gangs seizing ordinary men off the street and forcing them into military service, and their brutal and unfair treatment of the Irish. The part that bothered me most was an *attempted* rape scene (I think it might have gone on for about twenty minutes in the audio book, but it felt a lot longer). Still, a very exciting series that I'll continue to listen to. ( )
  J.Green | Nov 22, 2016 |
Under the Jolly Roger by L.A. Meyer is the third book in the adventures of Mary “Jacky” Faber. In this one she is back on the sea, swashbuckling her way through the British Navy as well as spending time as the captain of a privateer, attacking French ships and making a fortune from the goods that they carry.

I was happy to see Jacky back in the action again as the second book which covered her years at school in Boston was rather tame. After arriving in London and suffering a disappointment, she is taken by a press gang and finds herself on a British ship of the line. Originally mistaken for a boy, the is kept on this hell ship by a deranged and cruel captain. Making the best of a bad situation, Jacky is able to fend of the advances of this gruesome man and gain the respect and love of her fellow crewmates and eventually take over control of the ship. Given a Letter of Marque by way of thanking her for the riches she turned in, Jackie builds herself a loyal crew and spends a couple of years as a privateer. It was a shock to her when she finds that her Letter of Marque has been revoked and there is a price on her head. The story comes to an exciting climax at the Battle of Trafalgar and I for one can’t wait to get my hands on book number four.

Jacky is a wonderful character, high spirited and smart she leads with her heart, tends to leap into things before thinking them through and always seems to be having the most incredible adventures. These books are fun reads and the author appears to have been very accurate with his nautical and historical research. They are aimed at a YA audience, but I find the stories keep my attention and are enjoyable. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 20, 2015 |

L. A. Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,041,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible