The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (1983)

by John R. Erickson

Other authors: Gerald L. Holmes (Illustrator)

Series: Hank the Cowdog (1)

Hank the Cowdog, Head of Ranch Security, is framed for the murder of a chicken and becomes an outlaw with the coyotes.

This book is a great book to have in a classroom library. It is loved by boys and girls. It is about the adventures of a dog named Hank. This book is another great way to get children engaged and wanting to read. I used to love reading this book as a child. I definitely enjoyed the nostalgia of rereading it. Overall, these a re really good books for early readers starting at the end of first grade. ( )
  AveryLong | Nov 25, 2018 |
How have I missed this cute series until now? Everyone in the Texas Panhandle seems to know these books, and now I know why. The world that Hank lives in is the ranch life in the Texas Panhandle.

Somehow Hank keeps the Western "voice" while staying true to being a dog. There's a mystery to be solved and a ranch to be kept safe. There is a lot of humor amidst life lessons. I found this quotation to be one of those:

You can’t be safe and cautious all the time. If you’re too timid in this life, you’ll miss out on all the fun and adventure. You’ll just stay home and snap at the flies, and when you get to be an old dog, you’ll look back on your life and think, “All these years I’ve been on this earth, and I’ve never done anything but snap at flies.” And you'll regret that, when the opportunity came up, you didn't sneak a ride into town.

It is well worth the reading by adults who like young adult fiction. It can be shared with middle school aged children on up. I will slowly be adding the entire series of 70+ books. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Apr 1, 2018 |
Fun read for the kids, 4-6. ( )
  capiam1234 | May 28, 2017 |
The popular Hank the Cowdog series is based on the humorous antics of the canine Head of Ranch Security. In this first book, Hank and his little buddy, Drover, set out to solve a series of baffling murders on the ranch. Is Hank a suspect? An Outlaw? Can he clear his good name?
  CassityE | Apr 12, 2017 |
In this beloved children’s book character, Hank the Cowdog, head of ranch security, must investigate the murder of the chickens in which he is the #1 suspect!.

Hank is the Head of Ranch Security. He has been framed for the murder of a chicken. Find out from this humorous story whether or not he is innocent or guilty.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Oct 7, 2016 |

John R. Ericksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holmes, Gerald L.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,868,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible