The Appeal: A Novel by John Grisham

The Appeal: A Novel (original 2008; edition 2010)

by John Grisham (Author)

Wall street millionaire Carl Trudeau purchases an unsuspecting Mississippi State Supreme Court judge candidate when a lower court rules against one of his chemical companies for dumping toxic waste into a small town's water supply causing a cancer cluster.
Member:STITCHERV
Title:The Appeal: A Novel
Authors:John Grisham (Author)
Info:Dell (2010), Edition: Reprint, 514 pages

The Appeal by John Grisham (2008)

English (127)  Spanish (4)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (135)
Grisham's books always interest me. In "The Appeal", Grisham describes how big money can influence elections. In this book, a wealthy industrialist pours money into the campaign coffers for a "friendly" candidate in a judicial election to ensure his candidate will win and the "unfriendly" candidate will be defeated. Then, when the scheduled lawsuit impacting his Company comes before the Appeals Court, a favorable ruling can be anticipated.
While Grisham's book is fiction, if you think things like this can't happen, then the next book you should read is Laurence Leamer's "The Price of Justice: A True Story of Greed and Corruption". They're both basically the same story, except the Leamer story actually occurred. [ See Today Show host Matt Lauer interviewing John Grisham about "The Appeal" back in 2008 when it was first released at:

Knowing that "The Appeal" is actually based on an actual case from the coal mines of West Virginia certainly made me reflect on the need for campaign / election finance reform.
  rsutto22 | Jul 15, 2021 |
Very cliched plot and characters, simple prose, rather two-dimensional, but oddly compelling. ( )
  malcrf | Mar 23, 2021 |
Complex storyline. ( )
  Mike_B | Oct 22, 2020 |
I'm giving it 2.5-3 stars after some debate--because the ending is very un-Grisham-like in my opinion--though probably accurate to real life. The rating shown may differ depending on whether the site this is on allows half star ratings.

I start all books with an average rating and then add and subtract based on the book itself.

The pluses for this book:
*The Paytons (See below for more explanation)
*The first section kept me entertained. (The second section had some highlights too.)
*Fisk does seem to be a family man with some beliefs that I do admire.

The minuses for this book:
*The second section had parts about the judicial election that dragged for me.
*Fisk gets caught up in the politics-rather than ruling on the law, he rules based on his platform
*The ending

WARNING: Spoilers may follow. Read on at your own discretion.
*****

I liked the Paytons. They seem like a loving husband and wife and dedicated lawyers. They seem to really care about the people they're representing. Maybe that comes from Mrs. Payton growing up there, maybe that comes from something else. I don't know many lawyers who'd be willing to go $400K in hock (and have to declare bankruptcy) just to litigate for a client. I found it kind of ironic that they are what Fisk's campaign team painted Fisk and his family as.

Vintage Grisham would have had Trudeau facing the music at the end. Perhaps that expected ending is why Grisham changed it up. We do get the sense that Fisk is rethinking some of his stances--perhaps he will end up being more like the lady he replaced and trying to do the right thing rather than just blindly ruling based on the platform that got him elected.

I wonder if there's another book out there that tells us what happens. Does Josh recover? And how much? Does Fisk sue, as others are urging him to (or maybe his wife should)? ( )
  JenniferRobb | Sep 12, 2020 |
Got the German version (called "Berufung")in the Animal Shelter shop and how to say no to an easy read?
Update: finished! Well, it was a bit of a shock to see the ending coming, as all the books I've read by Grisham so far have had happy endings to some point. I still don't agree with those who gave a bad rating to the book just because the bad ones win this time...isn't what life is, a mix of good and bad? Of course, I would have loved for the small town that dared fight the big corporation to celebrate a triumph after the long suffering and losses they endured, but alas...most of the time, it probably works the other way round just because the big corporations have a lot of money to use for themselves.
Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the novel: Grisham writes in a captivating way that makes you wish you could keep on reading forever, and compared to other reads recently this was really finished in record time, thanks also to the gripping theme.
I'm going to keep reading Grisham's books...they're the perfect escapism. ( )
  MissYowlYY | Jun 12, 2020 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beck, MichaelReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Professor Robert C. Khayat
The jury was ready.
The law's greatest responsibility is to protect the weakest members of our society. Rich people can usually take care of themselves.

porque los jueces
no deben ser electos
por voto gente
(gneo flavio)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,222,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible