Paul the Jewish Theologian: A Pharisee among…

Paul the Jewish Theologian: A Pharisee among Christians, Jews, and…

by Brad Young

Title: Paul The Jewish Theologian: A Pharisee among Christians, Jews, and Gentiles
Author: Brad H. Young
Pages: 184
Year: Reprint 1995
Publisher: Baker Academic
My rating 5 out of 5 stars.
Recently, I have been led to expand my understanding of God, Israel, the Jewish people and more. When I did a search for books I might want to read, this was one of the top ones listed on a retailer’s site. So, when it came in the mail, I dove in with a hunger unmatched in my heart for ages. The book helped me understand Paul the man, how he was raised, taught and so much more!
The author helped me understand the Jewish people and teachers like Paul and how that directly impacts my reading, studying and understanding of God’s Word. Paul wrote many letters to encourage, exhort, train, equip and more to other believers of both Jewish and Gentile backgrounds. Paul’s writings at times seem hard to understand or maybe even simple, but looks can be deceiving. Paul writes with such a depth of knowledge of the Hebrew Scriptures, which we refer to as the Old Testament.
If we take time to read Brad’s presentation of the man and his teaching, we will come away a far richer person with a deeper understanding of the God who loves us and saved us. I came away with a deeper appreciation and awe of Paul’s knowledge, and I am challenged. Paul not only defended the gospel to other Jewish people, but he took it to the Gentiles as he was directed to do by God.
It seems more than right that we should seek to understand the Jewish writers, their times so we can then rightly understand and share our faith. The book is helpful in expounding how Paul wrote, including his style and how Rabbis of his time wrote. This helped open my heart to a true and richer depth of understanding. It has changed me. My heart has always been for the Jewish people but how that should affect me or my understanding of God and His Word has now been made clearer.
I appeal to all Christians to read not just this book but any book that will expand your understanding of the Jewish people, the Bible and the land where it all began! ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jul 5, 2017 |
NO OF PAGES: 164 SUB CAT I: Paul SUB CAT II: SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: This book reveals Saul of Tarsus a man who, though rejected in the synagogue, never truly left Judaism. The author disagrees with long held notions that Hellenism was the context which most influenced Paul's communication of the Gospel.NOTES: SUBTITLE: A Pharisee among Christians, Jews, and Gentiles
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |
NO OF PAGES: 164 SUB CAT I: Paul SUB CAT II: SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: This book reveals Saul of Tarsus a man who, though rejected in the synagogue, never truly left Judaism. The author disagrees with long held notions that Hellenism was the context which most influenced Paul's communication of the Gospel.NOTES: This copy was purchased by Larry Landry from Amazon.com to replace the one he kept from the BH library. SUBTITLE: A Pharisee among Christians, Jews, and Gentiles
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |

"Paul the Jewish Theologian reveals Saul of Tarsus as a man who, though rejected in the synagogue, never truly left Judaism. Author Young disagrees with long held notions that Hellenism was the context which most influenced Paul's communication of the Gospel. This skewed notion has led to widely divergent interpretations of Paul's writings. Only in rightly aligning Paul as rooted in his Jewishness and training as a Pharisee can he be correctly interpreted. Young asserts that Paul's view of the Torah was always positive, and he separates Jesus' mission among the Jews from Paul's call to the Gentiles."--BOOK JACKET.Title Summary field provided by Blackwell North America, Inc. All Rights Reserved… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,305,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible