The Snowman: A Harry Hole Novel (7) (Harry…

The Snowman: A Harry Hole Novel (7) (Harry Hole Series) (original 2007; edition 2012)

by Jo Nesbo (Author)

Series: Harry Hole (7)

"In Oslo, after the first snow of the season has fallen, a woman disappears, and a sinister snowman is left in her wake. As irascible detective Harry Hole realizes that this is only one of multiple disappearances, he begins to think a serial killer may be at work--and may be drawing in Hole personally and intentionally"--… (more)
Member:AlexaYM
Title:The Snowman: A Harry Hole Novel (7) (Harry Hole Series)
Authors:Jo Nesbo (Author)
Info:Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (2012), Edition: Reprint, 512 pages

The Snowman by Jo Nesbø (2007)

Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason (infosleuth, Disco_grinch)
    infosleuth: Besides both being northern European crime fiction titles, but without wanting to spoil the stories, these 2 novels share similar plot elements.
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (voracious)
    voracious: Similar in the extended effort in the storytelling and set in Norway, this novel evokes similar feelings in the reader.

English (191)  Dutch (5)  Danish (3)  Norwegian (3)  German (3)  Finnish (3)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (214)
Harry Hole is called to help investigate the disappearance of a woman from her home, and his recently assigned partner (Katrine Bratt) helps uncover a series of disappearances. Then suspects start dying off as the serial killer tries to avoid Harry's relentless pursuit, and things get as personal as they can. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Stuffed full of clichés and I worked out the killer by page 180. Propulsive enough to keep me going, though. ( )
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |
Enjoyed this a lot more than Nemesis, perhaps because it was an audiobook. So scary I stayed up way too late. A tad implausible, especially the climax. Characters named Brat,Shtupp and Chesty (I'm sure that's not the way it's actually spelled) provide relief from what some might find relentless macabre ghoulish going. Sorry, I'm not really that provincial, but I'm that immature. ( )
  flemertown | Jul 10, 2021 |
adult fiction; thriller/mystery/crime. Unlike other "stieg-readalikes" this one won't disappoint. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
For me, this is the best of of the Harry Hole series that I have read so far, in no small part due to the complex plot. Although it couldn't be described as a maze of inter-twining story lines, it is more involved that his earlier work and show someone who has really worked on his craft (imo).

I was sure early on that I had twigged who the killer was and thought that is was lazy of Nesbo to fail to hide it better. Boy, I was wrong and in a big way :blush2:

There are a few characters that I would liked to have seen more of in the story, especially Beate Lonn as I had enjoyed her part in the previous book in the series. It does increasingly seem however, that there will only a love interest and a work colleague in the way of female characters. I think it would be unfair to label this as a criticism though because I would imagine police work is a fairly male dominated environment. It would probably spoil the 'lone wolf' aspect of Harry Hole.

The murders are wonderfully dark and the method of dispatch is really well thought out. As someone who watches and reads a decent amount of crime fiction it was something I had never come across before.

In summary I loved this book and recommend it highly. In that past I have avoided giving any of the series a 5 star raring because I tend to reserve these for books which move me or stay with me in an emotional way. I think that this book and series really does deserve it. ( )
  Brian. | Jun 20, 2021 |
Harry is pleasingly human, with a capacity for hard, grueling work being one of his best features, and the rest of the characters say and do believable things, the murderous snowman notwithstanding. The Norwegian settings are sometimes exotic, sometimes just grimy—who knew that Oslo had a high-crime area?—but always appropriate to the story, which unfolds at just the right pace.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

Nesbø, Joprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vroom, Annelies deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimnicka, IwonaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
林立仁Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kirsten Hammervol Nesbø
It was the day the snow came.
Det var den dagen då snön kom.
She looked at him. God, how he had grown in this last year; he would soon be taller than her. And in those dark eyes of his the childishness was giving way to what for the moment was youthful defiance, but would, she could already see, in time become adult determination.

The night the first snow falls a young boy wakes to find his mother gone. He walks through the silent house, but finds only wet footprints on the stairs. In the garden looms a solitary figure: a snowman bathed in cold moonlight, its black eyes glaring up at the bedroom windows. Round its neck is his mother’s pink scarf.

Inspector Harry Hole is convinced there is a link between the disappearance and a menacing letter he received some months earlier. As Harry and his team delve into unsolved case files, they discover that an alarming number of wives and mothers have gone missing over the years. When a second woman disappears Harry’s suspicions are confirmed: he is a pawn in a deadly game. For the first time in his career Harry finds himself confronted with a serial killer operating on his turf, a killer who will drive him to the brink of insanity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,358,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible