Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain

Life on the Mississippi (1883)

by Mark Twain

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Finn is, among other things, a novelistic treatment of a raft journey down the Mississippi. Life on the Mississippi is part of the real background of the novel. Readers of one will almost surely enjoy the other. (It is amazing to me that the LibraryThing algorithm does not make this link on its own.)… (more)
    Mark Twain: A Life by Ron Powers (John_Vaughan)
    The Mississippi and the Making of a Nation: From the Louisiana Purchase to Today by Stephen E. Ambrose (John_Vaughan)
    Following The Equator: A Journey Around the World by Mark Twain (John_Vaughan)

English (35)  French (1)  All (36)
This was a very informative book written by Twain about his boyhood. I found it really fascinating even if it plodded along slowly sometimes. It was worth the time it took to get through it. ( )
  Melynn1104 | Jun 28, 2017 |
Recently, I participated in a writer's workshop. It took place in an inn that actually floats on the Missouri River. For five days, I was to be hypnotized by the river's ever-flowing current. I thought of Mark Twain, an author whose books I have never read. What better time could there be to acquaint myself with Twain? What better work than one about the river?

While the Missouri River is not the Mississippi, it is nevertheless far more impressive than my native Kansas River, a wide stream populated with massive sandbars and piles of driftwood. No ships float down my river. I'm not sure they ever did. In Life on the Mississippi, Twain paints a portrait of a time when many ships paddled lazily up and down the rivers. Full of anecdotes about his time as a young river boat pilot, Twain's love for the river and its boats is evident. Fortunately, I had the pleasure of reading the first half of this book in the days before, during, and immediately after my river sojourn. Aside from Twain's signature humor, Life on the Mississippi bristled with the life of the river—its sounds and smells. I was glad to have this book as a companion during my own exploration of the river. I don't think I would've enjoyed it nearly as much at any other time.

The second half of Life on the Mississippi loses its magic. From humorous tales of his own experience on the river, Twain switches to the tales of others, statistics, and random observations. Some of these have to do with the Mississippi. Some do not. Basically, Twain was let loose to follow whatever tangents he wanted in this book and the results were underwhelming. There were some great stories within these pages, but most of it was as dry as the Kansas River. ( )
  chrisblocker | Sep 21, 2016 |
Not the best audiobook for my commute. It required more attention than I could give it and my mind kept drifting off. Had to pull out after 6 discs. But I appreciated what little history and ambience I got about the steamboat culture and the Mississippi River. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this one, not only for its description of life along the river at that time, but also for the author's wry sense of humor. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
This book was an incredible read and a fascinating evocation of time and place. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |

Nuorto, OlliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wagenknecht, EdwardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wager, WillisEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wecter, DixonEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Mississippi is well worth reading about.
Life on the Mississippi was written by Samuel Langhorne Clemens, also known as Mark Twain.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528174, Mass Market Paperback)

A stirring account of America's vanished past...
The book that earned Mark Twain his first recognition as a serious writer...

Discover the magic of life on the Mississippi.

At once a romantic history of a mighty river, an autobiographical account of Mark Twain's early steamboat days, and a storehouse of humorous anecdotes and sketches, Life on the Mississippi is the raw material from which Twain wrote his finest novel-The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

"The Lincoln of our literature." (William Dean Howells)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:21 -0400)

At once a romantic history of the mighty Mississippi River, an autobiographical account of Twain's early steamboat days, and a storehouse of anecdotes and sketches, this stirring account of America's vanished past is the raw material from which Twain wrote his finest novel--"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn". A new introduction is provided by Twain biographer, Justin Kaplan.… (more)

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,621,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible