Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain

Life on the Mississippi (original 1883; edition 2000)

by Mark Twain (Author)

Member:CindyMcIntyre
Title:Life on the Mississippi
Authors:Mark Twain (Author)
Info:Konemann (2000)

Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain (Author) (1883)

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Finn is, among other things, a novelistic treatment of a raft journey down the Mississippi. Life on the Mississippi is part of the real background of the novel. Readers of one will almost surely enjoy the other. (It is amazing to me that the LibraryThing algorithm does not make this link on its own.)… (more)
    Mark Twain: A Life by Ron Powers (John_Vaughan)
    The Mississippi and the Making of a Nation: From the Louisiana Purchase to Today by Stephen E. Ambrose (John_Vaughan)
    Following The Equator: A Journey Around the World by Mark Twain (John_Vaughan)

English (38)  French (1)  All languages (39)
“A dead man could get up a better legend than this one. I don’t mean a fresh dead man either; I mean a man that’s been dead weeks and weeks.” ( )
1 vote Jon_Hansen | May 15, 2019 |
This book is so funny! And still good, despite describing a forgotten world. I'll reread Raban's "Old Glory" to see how good it really is : ) He's so much better at this
  Kindlegohome | Mar 28, 2019 |
"Life on the Mississippi" is sandwiched between "The Prince and the Pauper" and "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", neither of which is similar in form to this book, nor really is it like any of Mark Twain's previous works similar. Of course, parts of "Life on the Mississippi" are similar to his travel books, and he does include an extensive quote from a passage intended to be included in Huckleberry Finn, but he also includes some significant third party material.

For many people, the first part of the book is the part they like the best, as he looks back on his time as a cub learning how to be a pilot. This includes some very humourous stories, and definitely has the feel of his earlier travel books. That being said, I believe there is a lot more here, and that it is worth a deeper look. Twain talks about the physical changes that the river goes through, and they are significant, and I believe one can mirror those changes in the part of the book where he has returned to the river, and is finding how life along the river has changed significantly as well.

There is certainly more of a melancholy feel to the second part of the book, but it is also more diverse in the type of writing. Overall this is a complex work, which really gives the reader to see the breadth of Twain as a writer. It may not be his best work, but it is one that should not be missed. ( )
  dave_42 | Feb 27, 2019 |
This was a very informative book written by Twain about his boyhood. I found it really fascinating even if it plodded along slowly sometimes. It was worth the time it took to get through it. ( )
  Melynn1104 | Jun 28, 2017 |
Recently, I participated in a writer's workshop. It took place in an inn that actually floats on the Missouri River. For five days, I was to be hypnotized by the river's ever-flowing current. I thought of Mark Twain, an author whose books I have never read. What better time could there be to acquaint myself with Twain? What better work than one about the river?

While the Missouri River is not the Mississippi, it is nevertheless far more impressive than my native Kansas River, a wide stream populated with massive sandbars and piles of driftwood. No ships float down my river. I'm not sure they ever did. In Life on the Mississippi, Twain paints a portrait of a time when many ships paddled lazily up and down the rivers. Full of anecdotes about his time as a young river boat pilot, Twain's love for the river and its boats is evident. Fortunately, I had the pleasure of reading the first half of this book in the days before, during, and immediately after my river sojourn. Aside from Twain's signature humor, Life on the Mississippi bristled with the life of the river—its sounds and smells. I was glad to have this book as a companion during my own exploration of the river. I don't think I would've enjoyed it nearly as much at any other time.

The second half of Life on the Mississippi loses its magic. From humorous tales of his own experience on the river, Twain switches to the tales of others, statistics, and random observations. Some of these have to do with the Mississippi. Some do not. Basically, Twain was let loose to follow whatever tangents he wanted in this book and the results were underwhelming. There were some great stories within these pages, but most of it was as dry as the Kansas River. ( )
  chrisblocker | Sep 21, 2016 |

Nuorto, OlliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wagenknecht, EdwardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wager, WillisEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wecter, DixonEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Mississippi is well worth reading about.
Life on the Mississippi was written by Samuel Langhorne Clemens, also known as Mark Twain.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528174, Mass Market Paperback)

A stirring account of America's vanished past...
The book that earned Mark Twain his first recognition as a serious writer...

Discover the magic of life on the Mississippi.

At once a romantic history of a mighty river, an autobiographical account of Mark Twain's early steamboat days, and a storehouse of humorous anecdotes and sketches, Life on the Mississippi is the raw material from which Twain wrote his finest novel-The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

"The Lincoln of our literature." (William Dean Howells)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:21 -0400)

At once a romantic history of the mighty Mississippi River, an autobiographical account of Twain's early steamboat days, and a storehouse of anecdotes and sketches, this stirring account of America's vanished past is the raw material from which Twain wrote his finest novel--"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn". A new introduction is provided by Twain biographer, Justin Kaplan.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,255,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible