The Kanji Dictionary by Mark Spahn

The Kanji Dictionary

by Mark Spahn

The acknowledged authority on Japanese Kanji,The Kanji Dictionary makes written Japanese more accessible than ever before and is an absolutely vital tool for anyone seeking to learn Japanese at an intermediate or advanced level. This is the onlykanji dictionary of its kind to employ a revolutionary multiple-reference compound system. Everykanji compound, a word or phrase made up of two or more characters, is listed under each of its components characters. This unique, time-saving feature makes finding compounds fast and easy. Entries are arranged according to a radical based reference system, similar to that used in most other dictionaries, but it has been simplified to make it easier to learn and use. Also, the comprehensiveon/kun readings index and handy radical "overview lists" provide further means to find an entry. The focus of this reference work iskanji compounds, and the more than 47,000 entries in the main text include the most common and most important terms and expressions currently in use. The addition of newly coined terms, particularly those in new technical fields, is another key feature. Features over 47,000 entries with an emphasis on current expressions. Arranged for search from anykanji in a compound. Contains a completeon/kun (Chinese/Japanese) reading index. Includes an easy-to-use radical guide. Provides appendices of counters, historical periods, common Japanese surnames, etc.… (more)

I invested in this dictionary a decade or so ago, when I first started learning Japanese. I have never needed to buy another dictionary. Even now, when I have computer programs that will look up kanji by their radicals, it's still useful because the programs don't always show every variation of a kanji.

I don't use it often anymore because looking up kanji on the computer is faster, but when I do need it it's a real life saver. So much so that I don't think I'll ever get rid of this dictionary. I love how easy it is to use, I love how much information it has and I love that it will show each kanji and the different ways the same kanji can be written. I don't think there's ever been a time when I was trying to find a kanji in this dictionary that I was unable to.

If you're learning Japanese and plan on keeping up with it I highly recommend you buy this book. ( )
  Eisah | Dec 17, 2012 |
Excellent dictionary. I especially like the lists of compound words with the character in different word order. My one reservation is the quirky radical simplification, not because it doesn't work well, but because it is a disservice to learners in the long run.
  wall-o-SF | Apr 29, 2008 |
Best of its kind. ( )
  erhirvo | Oct 5, 2007 |
Endlessly useful. I looked at every kanji dictionary I could find before deciding on this one and it has not disappointed. ( )
  hippietrail | Sep 7, 2005 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,775,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible