The Bonehunters

by Steven Erikson

Series: Malazan Book of the Fallen (6), World of Malaz (Book of the Fallen 6), Malazan Chronology (11)

El sexto volumen de la saga «Malaz: El Libro de los Caídos». Los cazahuesos es la sexta entrega de la saga «Malaz: El Libro de los Caídos», la decalogía originalmente publicada entre 1999 y 2011 que ha convertido al escritor canadiense Steven Erikson en una de las mayores voces de la fantasía épica contemporánea. Desde entonces, esta obra maestra de la imaginación está considerada una de las series más ambiciosas que ha dado el género en los últimos años. ENGLISH DESCRIPTION The Seven Cities Rebellion has been crushed. Sha'ik is dead. One last rebel force remains, holed up in the city of Y'Ghatan and under the fanatical command of Leoman of the Flails. The prospect of laying siege to this ancient fortress makes the battle-weary Malaz 14th Army uneasy. For it was here that the Empire's greatest champion Dassem Ultor was slain and a tide of Malazan blood spilled. A place of foreboding, its smell is of death. But elsewhere, agents of a far greater conflict have made their opening moves. The Crippled God has been granted a place in the pantheon, a schism threatens and sides must be chosen. Whatever each god decides, the ground-rules have changed, irrevocably, terrifyingly and the first blood spilled will be in the mortal world. A world in which a host of characters, familiar and new, including Heboric Ghost Hands, the possessed Apsalar, Cutter, once a thief now a killer, the warrior Karsa Orlong and the two ancient wanderers Icarium and Mappo--each searching for such a fate as they might fashion with their own hands, guided by their own will. If only the gods would leave them alone. But now that knives have been unsheathed, the gods are disinclined to be kind. There shall be war, war in the heavens. And, the prize? Nothing less than existence itself... Here is the stunning new chapter in Steven Erikson magnificent Malazan Book of the Fallen--hailed as an epic of the imagination and acknowledged as a fantasy classic in the making.… (more)
    Night of Knives by Ian C. Esslemont (philosojerk, xjurajx)
    philosojerk: Although not a fan of Esslemont's contributions to this series, Night of Knives is a necessary prerequisite to The Bonehunters. At least it is blessedly short.

English (44)  Slovak (1)  All languages (45)
I have liked all the previous books, however I do not wish to make the effort to understand this. I mean, I read as leisure, I do not wish to study a book for entertainment. I'm sure it's great, though.
  NachoSeco | Oct 10, 2022 |
Difficult for me to organize my thoughts about--someone else may have made this at least three different books, possibly more. (Leoman/Y'Ghatan, the plague in Seven Cities, return to Malaz Island) There were also about eight different climaxes. Convergence indeed!

In seriousness, I think there was some real danger at some point there that Heboric stopped having to do with jade statues from space but I did not ultimately understand this subplot at all. Maybe it becomes clearer later. Maybe I missed something huge. My grasp of events at the First Throne is also pretty tenuous.

I hope we're done with Seven Cities. It seems to be exclusively filled with rightfully bitter abused teenage girls sniping at their long-suffering male keepers.

Y'Ghatan was masterful, though, surpassing Capustan for a "holy shit, this is chapter SEVEN?" moment.

Tavore might be my favorite character. Like everyone else, we never quite grasp her motives, although we're initially set up to dislike her since she sent Felisin to the mines (although we do soon learn that Tavore intended her to be rescued in fairly short order--and Felisin didn't exactly make things easy for Baudin). But when she mentions the Crippled God, and T'Amber starts making new cards, stuff is getting REAL.

My favorite scene in the whole book was probably Fiddler's game. I'll have to reread it now

Other cool stuff: Grub is always outstanding. I like anyone getting close to Tavore, and the vets seem to be. Bottle is usually pretty interesting although I could do without the Eres'al jerking him around (!). I also have no good reason to like Paran, but he keeps being likable! And Cotillion really gets interesting here. Karsa doesn't get much screen time, but it's pretty good, and same for Icarium and Mappo. Standout character I liked who I was literally rooting to die two books ago: Corabb.

Pretty boring: Curdle and Telorast. Maybe they're important later, but I shared Apsalar's sentiments. I also think a little Pust goes a long, loooong way.

Also: Really anything to do with Felisin traveling in a desert. It's a different Felisin, I know, but it just seems to lead to weird creepiness and boring complaining.

At any rate, I could hardly put it down, whereas I found the objectively fine Midnight Tides a slog to push myself through. Excited to keep going. The stakes are definitely going way, way up. I'm hoping Erikson can meet the expectations he sets. ( )
  Adamantium | Aug 21, 2022 |
Originally published on Forest Azuaron.

It's difficult for me to say too many good things about Steven Erikson's Malazan series, and the books have been getting even better.

It's even more difficult, however, for me to say anything specific about why this book is so great, since even mentioning that a particular character is still alive (or not) at a particular point would be a serious spoiler, and I don't believe the statute of limitations has quite run out on the Malazan series.

What I can say, however, is that if you've made it this far, you will not be disappointed. While it doesn't quite hit the emotional impact of Midnight Tides, it continues Erikson's evolution as an author, and the word-smithing's better than ever. Where it falls down a little is the plot structure, which feels a little more fragmented than it needs to, right up until the last few hundred pages which are pure brilliance.

5/5 shaved knuckles in the hole. ( )
  Azuaron | Mar 1, 2022 |
A long and winding road following the Fourteenth and the rise of the Crippled God.

Loved the start, loved the end; but it was a difficult and meandering story to struggle through. ( )
  benji1304 | Feb 28, 2022 |
Pretty good. Awesome moments, good characterization and finally some semblance of the different plot lines coming together. The main problem is that the book itself is more a series of events then one coherent plot, but some weird structure I guess is to be expected at this point. Still, one of the better books so far and definitely the best seven cities one. And, for the love of god, the most action packed one. I like a little excitement in my fantasy books every now and again, screw me, right?

THE RANKING THUS FAR:
DG ( )
  Raykoda3 | Sep 25, 2020 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Courtney Welch.
Keep the music coming, friend.
The webs between the towers were visible in glistening sheets far overhead, and the faint wind coming in from the sea shivered the vast threads so that a mist of rain descended on Kartool City, as it did every morning in the Clear Season.
"Explanations are what people use when they want to lie. Y'can always tell those, 'cause those explanations don't explain nothing and then they look at you like they just cleared things up when really they did the opposite and they know it and you know it and they know you know and you know they know that you know and they know you and you know them and maybe you go out for a pitcher later but who picks up the tab? That's what I want to know."
For the German-language version of the series 'Das Spiel der Götter', this book was split into two volumes - 'Die Feuer der Rebellion' (2007) ISBN 3-442-24469-2 and
'Die Knochenjäger' (2008) ISBN 3-442-24499-4
Please do not combine these works

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,300,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible