L'evoluzione di Calpurnia

L'evoluzione di Calpurnia

Series: Calpurnia Tate (1)

2,5542064,041 (4.11)80
In central Texas in 1899, eleven-year-old Callie Vee Tate is instructed to be a lady by her mother, learns about love from the older three of her six brothers, and studies the natural world with her grandfather, the latter of which leads to an important discovery.
Member:babxba
Title:L'evoluzione di Calpurnia
Authors:
Info:Salani

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (foggidawn)
    The No. 1 Ladiesʼ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (stevedore)
    stevedore: Similar light-hearted quirky characters and lack of dramatic tension.
    Deadly by Julie Chibbaro (kaledrina)
    The Danger Box by Blue Balliett (keeneam)
    keeneam: Also deals with Darwin at the present time rather than the past.
    Mary Mae and the Gospel Truth by Sandra Dutton (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: Calpurnia is a little more of a difficult read than Mary Mae, but both girls deal with similar issues.
    Roller Skates by Ruth Sawyer (kaledrina)

English (199)  Catalan (3)  Spanish (3)  Finnish (1)  All languages (206)
Lovely book with a very lively and likable main character. ( )
  JenniferElizabeth2 | Aug 25, 2020 |
I really love Callie Vee. She's a wonderful protagonist, curious and excited about learning, and with a really interesting moral compass. I got so angry with her when she started to learn about the inherent unfairness of being a girl, especially in turn-of-the-20th-century Texas. Her mother expects Callie to learn lady things like sewing and knitting and cooking and piano, but Callie just wants to learn about the natural world with her grandfather. He encourages her, and teaches her about other female scientists who made great discoveries, but he seems to also know that it'll be a tough path for her. He smiles quietly whenever she sticks up for herself, but the rest of her family doesn't really get why she doesn't understand that women supposed to be a certain way. Since she's the only girl in a family of 7 children, both her family's feminine expectations of her and the unfairness of being a girl really stand out. Her turn to take care of the Thanksgiving turkeys was passed over because of her delicate female countenance, ironically only to have a greater tragedy when her brother Travis can't bear to see his turkeys killed. I really liked a lot of the characters, and I really feel for Callie. There are a lot of things that children find unfair which actually turn out to have been for their own good, but she is pushing up against the unfair society she lives in and learning that she's a second-class citizen in this world and in her own home. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate follows the life of the titular character, Calpurnia Tate, as she finds herself becoming an unlikely friend to her grandfather; a retired cotton merchant now interested in studying the natural world like his contemporary Mr. Charles Darwin. Calpurnia's grandfather encourages her curiosity in nature and science while Calpurnia grows into her teens and finds herself having to consider adulthood and her future. Set in post-Reconstruction Texas, this book offers an interesting perspective of life at the time in the very tumultuous year of 1899 from the eyes of a young teenager who is interested in observing the world around her both natural and man made.I rated this book 5 stars because I got really engrossed in Calpurnia's day to day life and her writing, her witty personality and frank opinions of the world around her were a joy to read. ( )
  AnnAurora | Apr 4, 2020 |
Follows nearly-12-year-old Calpurnia Tate, living in post Civil War Texas, as she discovers the joys of Darwinism and scientific observation, new ways to negotiate life with a bushel of brothers, and an unexpected friendship with her gruff-on-the-outside grandfather.
I liked this one okay, but the narration was...not great, and that put me off more than just reading it myself likely would have. *shrug* ( )
  electrascaife | Dec 30, 2019 |
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate is the story of an eleven year old girl that lives on a pecan plantation in Texas in 1899. Calpurnia is the middle child with three older and three younger brothers. Their grandfather, who once owned and ran the plantation, but now keeps to himself in retirement, also lives with them. One day, Calpurnia wonders about the variation in the grasshoppers in her yard and decides to brave her fear of her grandfather and ask him if he knows the reason that there are small green ones and big yellow ones. This leads to the discovery that her grandfather shares her enthusiasm for nature and science. The two become inseparable as they explore the environment around their home and record their observations. Unfortunately, in 1899 there were little opportunities for girls interested in going to the university and study science and Calpurnia finds herself fighting her parent's expectations that she spend her time learning skill to run a household, such as knitting and cooking. There is never any resolutions to these conflicts, instead the book presents Calpurnia's everyday life and the reader is left hopeful yet uncertain about her future (this is the second book in the series, so there may be some answers about Calpurnia's future in subsequent books). This is a great read. The characters were realistic and likable, even her troublesome brothers. The reader soon finds that Calpurnia is not the only Tate child that might have ideas for their future that do not match their parent's expectations. I liked that, although the book was told from Calpurnia's point of view, you also felt like you really got to know the secondary characters. I think this book would be wonderful for girls, especially those interested in science and technology. It would be a great discussion with kids about how times have and have not changed. ( )
  Cora-R | Jul 31, 2019 |
In her debut novel, Jacqueline Kelly brings to vivid life a boisterous small-town family at the dawn of a new century. Readers will want to crank up the A.C. before cracking the cover, though. That first chapter packs a lot of summer heat.

Phyllis Kennemer, Ph.D. (Children's Literature)
Calpurnia is an active, inquisitive eleven-year-old girl, living in a small Texas town in 1899. She takes no interest in cooking or sewing and is, in fact, inept in all household duties. Calpurnia is the only girl in a family of seven children, so her mother keeps trying to domesticate her, but Calpurnia consistently resists. She has developed a special relationship with her eccentric grandfather, a scientist and naturalist. They explore the nearby river and woods and are excited about the possibility of having discovered a new plant. Granddaddy loans her his copy of Darwin’s The Origin of Species, and a quotation from the book appears at the beginning of each chapter. Calpurnia reads this book and others, records her findings and questions in a journal, and aspires to become a scientist. Other than her grandfather, her family does not support her in this quest. Her future is left uncertain, but readers will be rooting for her to achieve her goal. This book presents an engaging piece of historical-fiction depicting the roles and expectations for women at the turn of the twentieth century. 2009, Henry Holt and Company/Macmillan, $16.99. Ages 9 to 12.

added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Phyllis Kennemer

Belongs to Series

When a young naturalist commences the study of a group of organisms quite unknown to him, he is at first much perplexed to determine what differences to consider... for her knows nothing of the amount and kind of variation to which the group is subject...
[Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species]
The laws governing inheritance are quite unknown; no one can say why...the child often revert in certain characters to its grandfather...
[Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species]
Seedlings from the same fruit, and the young of the same litter, sometimes differ considerably from each other, though both the young and the parents...have apparently been exposed to exactly the same conditions of life...
[Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species]
We may conclude...that any change in the numerical proportions of some of the inhabitants, independently of the change of climate itself, would most seriously affect many of the others.
For my mother, Noeline Kelly

For my father, Brian Kelly

For my husband, Robert Duncan
By 1899, we had learned to tame the darkness but not the Texas heat. We arose in the dar, hours before sunrise, when there was barely a smudge of indigo along the eastern sky and the rest of the horizon was still pure pitch.
One day I would have all the books in the world, shelves and shelves of them. I would live my life in a tower of books. I would read all day long and eat peaches. And if any young knights in armor dared to come calling on their white chargers and plead with me to let down my hair, I would pelt them with peach pits until they went home.
It was too bad, but sometimes a little knowledge could ruin your whole day, or at least take some of the shine off.
'The lesson for today is this: It is better to travel with hope in one's heart than to arrive in safety. Do you understand?'
'There are so many things to learn, you see, and so little time is given us.'
"The lesson for today is this: It is better to travel with hope in one's heart than to arrive in safety....we should celebrate today's failure because it is a clear sign that our voyage of discovery is not yet over. The day the experiment succeeds is the day the experiment ends. And I inevitably find that the sadness of ending outweighs the celebration of success."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,805,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible