Marvel Premiere Classics, Volume 5:…

Marvel Premiere Classics, Volume 5: Wolverine: Weapon X

by Barry Windsor-Smith

167None71,707 (4.05)3
Recently added byCoreyScott, ZachLyon, 20659, Jack_Saucer, dantetao, Eegill, Death_By_Papercut, private library

I knew I'd have issues with the artwork because I... twat, because yeah, I'm a twat who just doesn't like the older colouring of comics. I want them to be pretty, in short. However, the artwork was pretty fantastic. It was very dynamic and did well in depicting the ferocity and violence of the story.

The story itself was also brilliant, even if the writing wasn't. So much more violent and gory than I expected. I read this and thought, what the hell happened with that Hugh Jackman movie? They could have gone so much darker with what happened to Logan.

Te whole man vs. beast thing was played out brilliantly here, with these people turning Logan into a weapon because hey, he's just some feral creature who's ripe for training up. By the end of this, you totally get why dude is so angry.

If you like Wolverine (how could you not?), then this is a must read. ( )
  h_d | Mar 31, 2013 |
A classic well deserving of the title. There is very little Wolverine at all, the interest lies with the secondary characters through whom the whole story is told. The dense artwork fills the entire page and breaks pretty much all the modern rules and pulls it off perfectly. ( )
  oldflame | Apr 4, 2012 |
It has a cool feel and unfolds slow and eerie and Windsor-Smith doesn't overdetermine. I think in some ways the only X-Men stories I wanna read are the ones that could also be told the same way with no X-Men involved whatsoever. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Jan 14, 2011 |
Review forthcoming. ( )
  tdfangirl | Mar 26, 2010 |
Collects
Marvel Comics Presents #72-84 ( )
  angellreads | Apr 12, 2009 |
Direct Market variant edition size: 2000 copies

Of all the members of the X-Men, none has been more popular than Wolverine -- yet the origins of this mutant hero had always been tightly shrouded in mystery. Aside from a few hazy tidbits, Wolverine's past has always been little more than a blank slate. In WEAPON X, acclaimed writer/illustrator Barry Windsor-Smith peels back this veil of secrecy to reveal how Wolverine's skeleton became laced with an indestructible adamantium metal. Kidnapped and drugged, Wolverine is subjected to a series of sadistic medical experiments designed to create the perfect soldier. As he battles back against this tortuous experience, Wolverine proves himself to be a true hero long before his days as an X-Man.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:50 -0400)

Wolverine's a lot of things to a lot of people, but to one infamous enclave he was nothing but a weapon. And weapons kill people. They found that out well enough. Find out for yourself in this prequel to recent revelations of the murderous mysteries that have mesmerized our favorite mutant!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,488,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible