Amazing Peace: A Christmas Poem

by Maya Angelou

Angelou's poem celebrates the promise of peace in the holiday season. In this simple story, a family joins with their community--rich and poor, black and white, Muslim and Jew--to celebrate the holidays.

What a beautiful Christmas Poem written by Maya Angelou. I have read some of her writings before and enjoyed them very much. Not only is her words beautiful, but the art in this book, by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher was stunning. Love, Peace and Good Will are always the theme for the Christmas season. But oh how they are needed in the world today. ( )
  Sandralb | Dec 18, 2017 |
Well, of course it was beautiful, and I really love Maya Angelou's... everything. But I don't love the illustrations, and honestly, even the content of the poem was a stretch for me. It reminds me of these memes I've been seeing, and while I can appreciate the intent of the memes, they are essentially victim-blaming. The problem isn't that non-Christians are offended by being wished a merry Christmas; it's that Christians don't respect the fact that not everyone is Christian. Non-Christians wouldn't be offended by being wished a merry Christmas if they lived in a culture that respected their non-Christianity. So the inclusive, all-encompassing language of this poem is lovely, yes. But I just don't think we get to tell "the Jew and the Jainist, the Catholic and the Confucian... believers and nonbelievers" that we should all "celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ" together as a community. The message of peace is beautiful and wonderful, but it needs to be separate from a celebration of Jesus Christ.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
A poem that speaks of Christmas and faith and that peace that comes from believing in Christmas. ( )
  Maydacat | Jul 20, 2015 |
This poetic book beautifully beckons the world to peace during the Holiday season. Maya Angelou uses free verse to captivate the mind of the readers. The author begins the book with an ominous words such as "thunder, lightning and floodwaters". The illustrations in the book throughout the book slowly become more vibrant and alive with the turn of each page. The illustrations demonstrate this sense of coming alive together during the holidays. Christmas is portrayed by the author as this bright source of hope for humanity that brings peace and love throughout the world. I would use this book in my classroom during the Christmas season. I can use this book in my classroom to teach my students about the various ways that people celebrate Christmas throughout the world.
  magen.rauscher | Apr 21, 2015 |
Beautiful illustrations filled with families and children make this poem even more wonderful as it becomes more accessible to children. The poem orchestrates the Christmas theme into a love and hope that spans many religions!
  NEYM_RE_Library | Dec 3, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,485,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible