How to win friends & influence people by…

How to win friends & influence people (original 1938; edition 1981)

by Dale Carnegie

Carnegie's classic bestseller--an inspirational personal-development guide that shows how to achieve lifelong success--is now in a newly packaged edition, the first hardcover release of this classic since 1981.
Member:dlefebvre
Title:How to win friends & influence people
Authors:Dale Carnegie
Info:London ; Sydney : Angus & Robertson, 1984, c1981.

How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie (1938)

English (125)  Spanish (5)  German (2)  Arabic (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (135)
This book is one of those books that I should have read earlier in life. In fact, it is a book I should have read every year for the past 56 years. This book has sold more than 30 million copies and is one of the most read books in history. The book is How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie. It is a book you definitely need to read. Read more ( )
  skrabut | Sep 2, 2020 |
Worth the time to read

I have heard people quote from this book, and have read authors as they've referenced it, but had not read it myself. It's illustrations are dated ( the book is old!) but it's lessons are still relevant today. I first borrowed it using the Libby app, then found it on Kindle for 73 cents.

In the version i read, Carnegie also gives some lessons on marriage. I didn't care too much about that section, as the illustrations are so dated that it takes away from the principles behind them.

If you haven't read it, correct that. It's worth the time. ( )
  DwaynesBookList | Aug 14, 2020 |
Reinforces what you already know and have been taught your whole life. I like how explicit the author is in his suggestions and the examples he uses. Going back to 1930s is fun. You'll become a better person if you approach life with the level of sincerity that this book tells you to have ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
Maybe the most important book for me to read, because I’m terrible at everything it recommends, and it uses its own techniques on me to teach me its techniques. It’s goddamn brilliant. It makes for a better, more enjoyable life.

Not sure why I didn’t read it earlier in life. I was probably too arrogant. ( )
  jtth | May 4, 2020 |
Excellent advice on and guidance for managing diplomatic interaction between humans.

My quibbles: dated language and tone, and the paraphrased examples can seem contrived as summarized. Could use a rewrite for modern audiences. Overlook this though because the lessons are as relevant today as they were yesterday. ( )
  ErrantRuminant | Mar 13, 2020 |

Carnegie, Daleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carnegie, DorothyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grasman, GerardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pell, Arthur R.Contributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

This book is dedicated to a man who doesn't need to read it - My cherished friend Homer Croy
Introduction by Lowell Thomas - a short-cut to distinction. On a cold, winter night last January two thousand five hundred men and women thronged into the grand ballroom of the Hotel Pennsylvania in New York. Every available seat was filled by half past seven.

Introduction by Dale Carnegie - How this book was written - and why.  ... Why, then, have I had the temerity to write another book? And, after I have written it, why should you bother to read it?
Relocated from 'first words' Common Knowledge entry -"How to Win Friends and Influence People was first published in 1937 in an edition of only five thousand copies." Which appears to be from the preface written by Dorothy Carnegie (Mrs. Dale Carnegie) to the 'revised' addition.

Following copied from Simon & Schuster (original publishers) web page on 10 May 2015 "Since its release in 1936, How to Win Friends and Influence People has sold more than 15 million copies."

Don't criticize, condemn or complain.
Give honest and sincere appreciation.
Arouse in the other person an eager want.
Become genuinely interested in other people.
Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
Talk in terms of the other person's interests.
Make the other person feel important-and do it sincerely.
The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never say "You're wrong."
If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
Begin in a friendly way.
Get the other person saying "yes, yes" immediately.
Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
Let the other person feel the idea is his or hers.
Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view.
Be sympathetic with the other person's ideas and desires.
Appeal to the nobler motives.
Dramatize your ideas.
Throw down a challenge.
Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
Call attention to people's mistakes indirectly.
Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
Let the other person save face.
Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement. Be "hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise."
Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,681,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible