My Abandonment (Tie-In): Now a Major Film:…

My Abandonment (Tie-In): Now a Major Film: LEAVE NO TRACE (original 2008; edition 2018)

by Peter Rock (Author)

Thirteen-year-old Caroline and her father have lived for four years on the outskirts of Portland, Oregon, in Forest Park. He has homeschooled her using encyclopedias and books from the library while also teaching her a rigid code of behavior that enables them to survive in this wilderness. Yet one small mistake allows the authorities to discover them. Their forced relocation to a horse farm outside of the city becomes only a brief respite to their deeper flight from a world that can't understand them.… (more)
Member:Melwilk
Title:My Abandonment (Tie-In): Now a Major Film: LEAVE NO TRACE
Authors:Peter Rock (Author)
Info:Mariner Books (2018), Edition: Media Tie In, 240 pages
Tags:to-read

My Abandonment by Peter Rock (2008)

A young girl tells of her life in Forest Park in Portland, OR living with her dad. ( )
  addunn3 | Jun 23, 2020 |
I was drawn to this book because it is based on a true story from my hometown, Portland, OR. It is the dramatization of the sensational story about the discovery a 10 year old girl, Caroline, living/hiding in Forest Park with her father. Forest Park is located within Portland city limits and close to small community, St Johns. Besides having a hidden garden, further support came from monthly disability checks. Every month they made their "trips into town" which meant walking over the St. Johns bridge to the PO box, the bank and Safeway. The hiker who accidentally found Caroline, brought back police who arrested her father, a Vietnam vet with PDST. With questioning, the police were able to find out that the father and daughter lived together in a hidden cave for 4 years but instead of incarceration, it was determined by authorities that the two should be placed on a horse ranch where her father could work and Caroline could attend school . Caroline had not been abused in any way as shown by a thorough medical exam and oddly, when tested, Caroline scored above grade level although very naive about life. I was absorbed and intrigued until I discovered that the book is called a novel!...... Looking up the facts, the first half of the story is based on actual events, but everything written after their stay on the horse ranch is the imagination of the author filling in the blanks in the story. It's a good read but I thought people should know ahead of time that the second half of the book is fiction. Very clear imagery and well written. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Apr 7, 2019 |
The ending doesn’t quite hold up and goes off half cocked. ( )
  adrianburke | Mar 22, 2019 |
child kidnapped — living in woods with father — reads encyclopedias — once a week in real world — sad ending — father is electrocuted By another drifter — girl is alone — won't go back to foster parents — is it really her father
* understanding becomes misunderstanding
** Every problem I have believing something to be true — that is not true

A thirteen-year-old girl and her father live in Forest Park, the enormous nature preserve in Portland, Oregon. There they inhabit an elaborate cave shelter, bathe in a nearby creek, store perishables at the water’s edge, use a makeshift septic system, tend a garden, even keep a library of sorts. Once a week, they go to the city to buy groceries and otherwise merge with the civilized world. But one small mistake allows a backcountry jogger to discover them, which derails their entire existence, ultimately provoking a deeper flight.
  christinejoseph | Nov 20, 2017 |
Father and daughter, wilderness, survival, child abduction ( )
  snora | Aug 29, 2017 |
It is remarkable how many creatures live wild and free though secret in the woods, and still sustain themselves in the neighborhood of towns, suspected by only hunters.
--Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Very soon after, I saw a little snake. He was crawling along. When I see snakes, I like to stop and watch. The dresses they wear fit them tight - they can't fluff out their clothes like birds can. But snakes are quick people. They move in such a pretty way. Their eyes are bright, and their tongues are slim.
--Opal Whiteley, The Singing Creek Where the Willows Grow
For Ida Akiko Rock
Sometimes you're walking through the woods when a stick leaps into the air and strikes you across the back and shoulders several times, then flies away lost in the underbrush.
If a paragraph is a thought, a complete thought, then a sentence is one piece of a thought. Like in addition where one number plus another number equals a bigger number. If you wrote down subtraction you would start with a thought and take enough away that it is no longer complete. You might write backward or nothing at all, or less than nothing. You wouldn't even think or breathe.
A wizard is one who practices magic but can also be a person who is clever at a task or test, which is a series of questions, a trial, affliction, crucible, ordeal, tribulation, visitation.
It is important to always remember that at any time you think of it there are people being kept in buildings when they want to go outside.
From that time forth he believed that the wise man is one who never sets himself apart from other living things, whether they have speech or not, and in later years he strove long to learn what can be learned in silence, from the eyes of animals, the flight of birds, the great slow gestures of trees.

Puzzling title. Fine book. (I wonder if anyone will suggest a better title: I'm still trying to think of one.)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,716,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible